Forums Latest Members
  1. Yelfel Apr 10, 2020

Hello,

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. I've been trying to find more info on this Constellation 168.019, but cannot find anything online. I think there was one for sale at Christie's a few years ago, but can't find much more. It's solid 18K white gold, with a caliber 751 inside. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Regards,
    Paul

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg
    Neeb, tamura and quito like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 10, 2020

What info are you looking for besides what you already have?

DaveK likes this.
  3. OMEGuy Apr 10, 2020

The watch looks nice to me.

Yelfel likes this.
  4. Yelfel Apr 10, 2020

I'm surprised how little info there is online.

Has anyone handled one in person or own one? Any potential issues with this one? How rare are these vs yellow gold versions, and what sort of premium would they command vs yellow gold? If you take a Rolex DateJust as comparison, a white gold version would be about 75% premium to a yellow gold version.

Thanks,
    Paul

5. Stosh Apr 10, 2020

Dead ringer for my 168.029. Unfortunately, mine is only stainless.:(

6. cristos71 Apr 11, 2020

I would love to own a white gold Constellation, preferably with an earlier reference with lyre lugs and even more preferably a stepped piepan WG Deluxe 2853. I almost bought a WG C-shape variant a few years ago (IIRC a date only version). I didn't buy it in the end as from earlier experience the C-shape really isn't for me and I decided it wasn't worth the WG premium. Having said that a WG C-shape on WG rivet bracelet is another proposition entirely and if I could score one at a good price I'd probably go for it (although not the day date version which I find cluttered) I think with the C-shape the premium for WG would be at least 50%+ and for an earlier lyre lug model, depending on the ref, 300-400%

There isn't much to find about them as there hasn't been much written about them to start with, I'd say they are certainly way less common than in YG and if I think about it I'd estimate maybe 2-3% of the solid gold C-shapes I've seen have been in WG. Not many at all, but as a percentage way higher than for the earlier references where examples in WG are out there but are virtually non-existent.

7. Yelfel Apr 11, 2020

Appreciate the insight! I pulled the trigger on it, I’ll post with some pictures once I receive it.

Waltesefalcon and cristos71 like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Apr 11, 2020

The white gold one is really uncommon, but as white gold Omegas go, it is probably the most "common" if you know what I mean.

I would love to try one on a bracelet out ::love::::love::

Congrats on the buy! Love the combination of white gold case and linen dial.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 11, 2020

There is no question in my mind that the watch case is 18K white gold.

What about the bracelet? Is the clasp hallmarked?

I’ve seen a few of these before. Very unusual piece.

Wear in good health!
    gatorcpa

Yelfel and OMEGuy like this.
  10. Shabbaz Apr 11, 2020

I've only seen a couple of 168.009/168.017 in white gold. I could have bought one for $ 3000 but I did'nt. I have some problems with the C-models as well.

I never saw this model in wg

11. nlogax Apr 11, 2020

Don't feel too bad, they're alright too...

IMG_7526.JPG

Neeb, Rudi99, Yelfel and 1 other person like this.
  12. Alpenschneerot Apr 12, 2020

Caseback must be 168029 for that model with knurled bezel !

KingCrouchy likes this.
  13. Boojumhunter May 6, 2022

Did you ever post any pics of this? Keen to see, and to have your thoughts…

14. Yelfel May 7, 2022

This was a pandemic impulse purchase in April of 2020 and it will always remind me of that time now. Wow, it seems so long ago, but time has definitely flown by! Anyway, the C case Constellation is just so underrated. First, the case shape - there are variations from the late 1960s-1970s from a few brands. Patek has a calatrava cross dial version and Audemars Piguet has a hobnail dial version, but I can't find any brand the pre-dates the Omega Constellation's C case. Does this mean the Constellation is the origination of this case design? The shape adds to the overall presence on the wrist and wears larger than its 36mm size. Really love the domed crystal, and the shape of the case (lugs) actually curves down on the wrist, which gives the watch a smooth, seamless feel on the wrist. The linen texture dial is very much of its era. Hard to describe the way the textured pattern and glossy lacquer contrast in different lights, but it's pretty cool. The bracelet is riveted and has links that stretch, with polished edges. In white gold, the color and shine is distinct, with an unexpected heft. I love it when the case and bracelet clink against each other making that unmistakable sound that only gold makes. This one is just such an interesting part of Omega's history. I know us watch geeks will put on a Speedmaster or Explorer and feel a little more adventurous, and this watch does exactly that. Except instead of walking on the Moon or climbing Mt Everest, I'm walking down 5th avenue with Audrey Hepburn. Actually, I'm sitting on my couch watching a movie, but still!

image0.jpeg 0.jpg image2.jpeg

JohnSteed, Neeb, kaplan and 5 others like this.
  15. kaplan May 7, 2022

Beautiful watch if you ever decide to let it go, I'd be very interested assuming I have the funds at the time

And in case you missed it: https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/constellation-wg

With C-Case's though, the WG premium is at most 25%, and sometimes WG is even cheaper than YG in auctions, but I think it's mainly because there is no demand yet, and it's impossible to distinguish WG from SS. I shared my first WG on the C-Case thread without saying it's WG and no one even paid me a single compliment :D

In the future though, if there is any strong demand, I believe the spread should occur

Yelfel likes this.