Forums Latest Members
  1. Ωemptymywallet May 19, 2020

Hello all!

I'm continuing my journey through vintage omega that will hopefully end in the successful purchase of a 50's/60's piece in good condition. While searching I found this C shape constellation. Normally I'm not a fan of these, but the combination of the fluted bezel and linen dial is really something. However the seller has also marked the watch as losing almost a minute per day, so I know at the very least it will need a service.

What are your thoughts on the condition of this piece? Also considering the price of around $750 USD, would it be worth it to simply purchase the watch and pay to get it serviced? How much does a 564. movement cost for servicing anyway?

I thank anyone in advance who can answer some of these questions!

s-l1600 01.jpg s-l1600 02.jpg s-l1600 03.jpg s-l1600 04.jpg s-l1600 05.jpg s-l1600 06.jpg s-l1600 07.jpg s-l1600 09.jpg
    Edited Jun 10, 2020
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 19, 2020

Even if it wasn’t losing time, if you are buying vintage and the watch doesn’t come with a watchmaker’s receipt for a recent service, then a service will be expected. And another service would be planned for 5 to 7 years down the road. Good luck with the hunt!

kkt and Ωemptymywallet like this.
  3. snunez May 19, 2020

I went through the same journey. Overall, not bad, but as always it's about the price. I'm gonna say 'borderline' with this piece. Perhaps offer $600?

4. Ωemptymywallet May 19, 2020

I suppose that's true. But could the amount of time it's lost suggest the movement is in pretty bad shape?

5. Ωemptymywallet May 19, 2020

Not taking offers I don't think. And I don't have a lot of feedback on Ebay. This seller has a lot of vintage Omega's though. The hunt continues.

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 19, 2020

There has been bad rotor wear. I’d wait for others to chime in, but I would pass unless it is super cheap, or I could take it to my watchmaker first for a look-see. That’s all based on my somewhat limited experience

Edit, it seems to have the original yellow gasket, likely has never been serviced. Again, let others chime in

7. Ωemptymywallet May 19, 2020

Yeah the rotor wear looks pretty bad. I didn't know the original gaskets were yellow so thanks for that tidbit. I'll probably hold off on this one. Shame really, the case and dial looks beautiful.

8. ZIELSZIEK May 19, 2020

First of all, check out this resource as it's a great way to get started on these:
    http://omega-constellation-collecto...12/constellation-c-shape-omegas-child-of.html
    Second of all, the corrosion/gunk/whatever that is on this one is enough to put me off. There is also rotor rub. This is not a happy movement.
    As for service costs? It depends on where you live and who the watchmaker is. On a very lucky day I could get this serviced for 200-250 euro including the mainspring(full service).
    On a bad day? Who knows? This watch would definitely not be a lucky pick for me, given the description. There are a lot of causes as to why it could lose time. Expect parts in need of replacement, if you're going to buy this.
    It would be better to find a watchmaker willing to work on these first and then seek the timepiece.

Ωemptymywallet likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 19, 2020

I don’t share my fellow enthusiasts’ pessimism for this watch.

$750 for a linen dial c case with a brick link bracelet?
    Really nice case too - original brushing, bevels are good, white gold bezel in good nick.

yes it has gunk around the rim -and to be fair, some in the movt.
    The rotor dragging so heavily on the case back could be the reason for a minute a day loss - it definitely needs sorting out.

A service is a must.

if I was in the market for a c case, I would snap this up at that price.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2020

When I see a rotor with that much wear, that appears recent (in other words hasn't been fixed) it's usually a sign that the movement is going to be rough. Parts for these are getting more and more expensive as time goes by, even buying direct from Omega, so although it might be okay, it could also be quite expensive to fix, so just be prepared to spend on it if you go forward.

Ωemptymywallet and Skipper_S like this.
  11. vintage hab May 19, 2020

I’m still learning. You refer to rotor wear: are you referring to the rub marks after the word “Swiss”? On the case, all is see are some marks below the black ink. Is this considered really bad? Thanks in advance

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2020

991340-37a543db5b0281f39e1bc799b8e151ec.jpg

s-l1600 08.jpg

13. vintage hab May 19, 2020

14. ConElPueblo May 19, 2020

I think that's some sort of dirt/discolouring that has come on the rotor rather than abrasion.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2020

No

16. Ωemptymywallet May 19, 2020

It's a tough spot because they have another one. White gold bezel and linen dial again. But the case is much worse, some of the original bevel has been brushed away during a shoddy refinish. But on the other hand the movement looks much better, it's running at +10 instead of -58 and the gasket has been replaced and isn't covered in gunk. However its $930 USD.

I'm just not sure which one would be a better buy in the long run. Beautifully maintained case but rough movement? Or refinished case with a healthier (to my eye) movement.

C-shape 01.jpg C-shape 02.jpg C-shape 03.jpg C-shape 04.jpg C-shape 05.jpg C-shape 06.jpg C-shape 07.jpg
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 20, 2020

Interestingly, there is a thread in the open discussion pages about choosing between watches based on condition.
    All other things being equal, in this case you have two condition issues.
    Case and movt.
    I would choose the better case every time because you can fix the movt ( for a cost) but you can never fix the case to be original again.
    As it happens the second watch you show also has signs of rotor rub around the edge of the movt - But rather unusually the marks on the case back are toward the centre of the rotor rather than the edge.
    (it may of course have been fixed at service in 2018)

When members ask to consider watch prices I’m always evaluating cost without service, because it’s likely that every watch will require a service if it is to be worn.
    IMHO the first watch is priced for you to be able to service it and still be very happy with the deal.

18. Sam11 May 20, 2020

Movements can be serviced, fixed and restored but cases and dials cannot.

19. ConElPueblo May 20, 2020

Or should we say that it is generally far more accepted to have movement parts restored or replaced than having the same done to cosmetic items? :)

Far more straightforward and cheaper too.

Archer and Peemacgee like this.