Forums Latest Members

Omega Constellation 18K Ref# 168.009 / 168.017 - Excited on this one :)

1. JasonPDX Apr 23, 2015

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am excited to say I picked up a very clean and minty condition Omega Constellation 18K C Case. The crystal has the omega symbol along with the crown. Watchmaker said it was in pristine condition, does have a few marks on the caseback. It almost looks though it has never been polished as you can see the manufactures brush marks in the gold ( ref first picture). I was originally going to flip it as the deal I got was very good, considering they are selling the same one in my local watch shop for 3k+ and on the Bay for 2K+. However, it has grown on me tremendously and I don't think I could part ways with out regret! I just found a vintage buckle for it last night ( Authentic ), and I am on a hunt for an Omega Band, any sellers?? I know they are not as sought after as the pie pan that I just found, and or many others, but I think having a solid 18K gold watch is pretty freaking cool :)

Please let me know your thoughts on this watch!
    Best,
    Jason
    IMG_3288.jpg IMG_3292.jpg IMG_3280.JPG IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3290.jpg
    Jacquot, TNTwatch and noelekal like this.
  2. TNTwatch Apr 23, 2015

Good catch! Is it white or yellow?

JasonPDX likes this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 23, 2015

It is quite an appealing example of the style and I always like obtaining solid gold models.

I can't quite make up my mind about these Constellations. I've gone from curling a corner of the lip in disdain in bygone years to having a slight wistful yearning to have one example in the watch menagerie. Was a common style seen as new watches on wrists when I was young.

JasonPDX likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2015

They work really well on some people and not at all on others, I bought a steel one and as soon as I put it on it looked wrong for me completely and didn't sit on my wrist well. My dad tried it on and it was spot on for him, go figure.

JasonPDX likes this.
  5. timeismoney Apr 23, 2015

This is what they call a slippery slope, before you know it you have to buy a box for them :)

JasonPDX likes this.
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 23, 2015

Hi

That example has wear, and edges are rounded .....that one used to have a bracelet you can see the tale tail signs of the marks left by the bracelet under the lugs...

Here is an example that looks just about untouched .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good hunting

Bill sohne

7. JasonPDX Apr 23, 2015

This watch is 18K yellow gold, was not that big into the yellow gold, yet it grew on me quite quickly! :)

8. JasonPDX Apr 23, 2015

I personally like how it has a little more weight and size then the other vintage watches I own. Thanks for the reply! :)

9. JasonPDX Apr 23, 2015

Ha! I know right?! My wife is already wondering, but she wanted me to keep this one :)

10. JasonPDX Apr 23, 2015

Great watch, it is a little different as it has the different dial, makers are outlined, and shows the actual day, but I love it. You know I think it just may be some glare from the picks, but the watch does not appear to be rounded? However, the watch did have a solid 18K bracelet, but did not have the original clasp so I opted out of that option. Until you brought it to my attention I did not notice the backside had little dents wear the band used to be. Oh well, I look at the face the most of the time :) Nice watch by the way!

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

You mean the bevel at the ends of the lugs where it has a flat section rather than being rounded?

12. JasonPDX Apr 24, 2015

I'm not sure, nothing seemed very round to my eye, and seeing another one side by side today, they seem to be very identical. However, they both had straps on and I was not really staring at the backs. Could be true, gold is soft:)

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Yea Bills is about as sharp and unpolished as you'll find one of those, the bevels and edges are how they should have been from new, they can easily get worn down.

JasonPDX likes this.
  14. Hijak Apr 24, 2015

This is the beveled edge they are all referring to...
    image.jpg

Sergeant Pluck, boat2dan and JasonPDX like this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Unfortunately that watch has been heavily polished - not only are the sharp edges gone but the case lugs are much thinner (as is the case itself) than it should be. If it was sold to you represented as mint or even in excellent shape with a price to match then I think you should consider returning the watch.

JasonPDX likes this.
  16. JasonPDX Apr 24, 2015

Thank you for this awesome reference:) I do know see what is going on. from the other pictures it was so hard to tell.

17. JasonPDX Apr 24, 2015

It's all a learning process thanks to you guys! Appreciate all the responses, fortunately I get such deals on my purchases because they are always cash-is. This watch I basically paid the weight in gold. I do now see what your saying, however It has been seen by two watchmakers and the movement and everything else is in fantastic shape. Guess they just did not know about the polish and or original shape. It's a keeper for me, but its great to know all this info, and to be able to get this kind of feedback on a forum is amazing!

Thank you so much for all the response:)

18. Hijak Apr 24, 2015

Its a great watch, its easy to find a sharp case in steel, not so easy in gold! Put that on a nice brownish/maroon lizard or alligator and you'll be styling!!!::love::

JasonPDX likes this.
  19. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Hi Jason

IF YOUR BUYING AT SCRAP VALUE OF THE GOLD ... ITS A GREAT DEAL. You can wear it everyday with out issue... or guilt.

enjoy it !!!!

Best

bill sohne

JasonPDX likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

168.0009 =168.0017

JasonPDX likes this.