Omega constellation 168.005

Posts
32
Likes
8
Good day everyone,

I recently received an Omega constellation which I purchased from Japan from a seller who usually only deals in legitimate pieces.

After receiving this watch, I've been thrown off by a few details that make me believe this might be a fake.

Im thrown off by the applied Omega text, which looks like one attached segment vs mounted letter by letter. The omega movement is of gold color vs rose gold copper, which I've been told can happen due to improper cleaning that strips the copper plating, as well as missing jewels on the automatic bridge, which also I've been told might be the result of aggressive cleaning.

Can you please give me your educated opinions??

Thank you very much in advance, as this watch cost me a nice chunk of change.

 
Posts
6,758
Likes
10,412
The pictures are poor, so it is really difficult to assess the watch properly.

The letters of Omega are joined together (not applied separately) but I’ve never seen an Omega symbol where the letters are joined like that.

If you can post clear in-focus pics of the dial, the whole watch, the movement showing the serial and the inner and outer case back we can help you better.
 
Posts
86
Likes
26
The pictures are poor, so it is really difficult to assess the watch properly.

The letters of Omega are joined together (not applied separately) but I’ve never seen an Omega symbol where the letters are joined like that.

If you can post clear in-focus pics of the dial, the whole watch, the movement showing the serial and the inner and outer case back we can help you better.
Hello kazd here, I was looking the pictures and few thinks got my attention , first when you zoom in on the lettering for Swiss made at the bottom of the dial it’s spelled CWICC, that’s what I can tell from the pic, second how the flat part of the dial is sharply carved to the step down portion , looking at the movement the engraved markings maybe suspicious especially the O and G, the lettering of omega below the symbol are somehow interestingly underlined , this is my observation and again I’m no expert there are guys on this platform that have great knowledge of these thinks , respectfully , kazd
 
Posts
183
Likes
161
Lots of surface rust on some steel components in the movement, absolutely no rust on others.
Is a squared off date window correct for this model? I thought it should be bevelled.
 
Posts
6,758
Likes
10,412
Lots of surface rust on some steel components in the movement, absolutely no rust on others.
Is a squared off date window correct for this model? I thought it should be bevelled.
You're quite right of course.
I think the whole dial is suspect but it can become tiresome commenting on crappy pictures like these ones - hence asking for better pics.
It looks like another' flat star' fake dial - but who knows from those pics.

BTW @kazd the 'CWISS' is just a result of refraction through the edge of the crystal - however, this doesn't make the dial any less bad.
 
Posts
183
Likes
161
@Peemacgee Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew.
Yes, pictures are crap. But I think there's enough there to say that the watch is too.
I didn't spot the flat star. Or know to look for one. Every day is a school day.

So:
  • Fake dial.
  • Movement shows signs of having had multiple parts replaced (at best) or more likely being cobbled together from multiple non-running watches.
  • Pictures far too poor to comment about case.

Why the hell do people post pictures after they buy? Pretty sure the advice would have been to purchase a barge pole, so that the OP could practise not touching watches like this with it.
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
The pictures are poor, so it is really difficult to assess the watch properly.

The letters of Omega are joined together (not applied separately) but I’ve never seen an Omega symbol where the letters are joined like that.

If you can post clear in-focus pics of the dial, the whole watch, the movement showing the serial and the inner and outer case back we can help you better.
I posted some more, thanks!
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
@Peemacgee Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew.
Yes, pictures are crap. But I think there's enough there to say that the watch is too.
I didn't spot the flat star. Or know to look for one. Every day is a school day.

So:
  • Fake dial.
  • Movement shows signs of having had multiple parts replaced (at best) or more likely being cobbled together from multiple non-running watches.
  • Pictures far too poor to comment about case.

Why the hell do people post pictures after they buy? Pretty sure the advice would have been to purchase a barge pole, so that the OP could practise not touching watches like this with it.

I have purchased many omegas in the past without issues. I got too excited for this one, although the price was not cheap. Also pics from the seller were not too clear / hid details. Some lessons cost more than others.. i posted more pics please feel free to comment.
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
The pictures are poor, so it is really difficult to assess the watch properly.

The letters of Omega are joined together (not applied separately) but I’ve never seen an Omega symbol where the letters are joined like that.

If you can post clear in-focus pics of the dial, the whole watch, the movement showing the serial and the inner and outer case back we can help you better.
I did thanks!
 
Posts
6,758
Likes
10,412
So, the watch back looks fake.
The dial is fake.
I don’t even like the look of the way the script on the movt is stamped.
 
Posts
183
Likes
161
I see what you mean about the missing jewels.
I hope you can send that back. Otherwise it looks like an expensive lesson.

In the better pictures, I am now seeing uniformly rusty steel parts in the movement. It's not good to see, but at least it shows that the whole thing was exposed to moisture, rather than being built from parts.
That said, no corrosion on the case clamps, or the case. I'd expect to see something if that movement was in that case when it got all rusty.

I'll leave others to comment on the case. But the observatory looks positively wonky to me.
 
Posts
30,172
Likes
77,911
So, the watch back looks fake.
The dial is fake.
I don’t even like the look of the way the script on the movt is stamped.
On the movement, it appears to me that both the wheel train bridge with the 564 designation, and the entire automatic winding system, are fake. The finish is wrong the jewels (or even bushings) are missing or not right from the automatic bridge...this is all fake by the looks of what I see in the photos.