Forums Latest Members

Omega Constellation 14381 - Calibre 551 - Pie Pan - What do you think?

1. JasonPDX Mar 25, 2015

Hi Omega Forums!

This is my first post and I have been obsessed with older Omegas for about a year now. I have acquired this year a couple watches. First an older Omega Seamaster Fz300 that I had service and sold, just due to lack of available parts and I wanted something that I could keep and be reliable. Second was an automatic Seamaster Calendar, but I am finding they are not that collectible and the price I paid was slim to none. The Calendar may be sold to fund the service of the find yesterday.

Yesterday's purchase I am feeling really good about. I plan to get it serviced and oiled, but right now it is keeping time down to the minute. It has the original crystal with the omega symbol. The dial has been looked about by two separate watch makers saying that it appears to be all original. My research tells me the crown is not original, but I am okay with that, as I am looking to keep if for a long time.

Just thought I would post some pics and see what you guys though and could tell me about it. It was a little hard to find this Omega Constellation-14381 without date and cross hairs online, so I am wondering about collectibility, what you all think of the movement, and of course just opinions!

Have a great day!

IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3047.JPG IMG_3049.JPG
    Waltesefalcon and Temiyasen like this.
  2. TNTwatch Mar 25, 2015

Welcome to OF! You've got a very nice watch in very decent condition. Everything looks good. Crown is original to this watch but probably needs to be replaced. Crystal seems to have a cloudy spot at 1 and needs a polish. Can't say anything about the movement without seeing it, but the 551 is one of the best. Just don't polish the case much a or at all. Enjoy it in good health!

JasonPDX likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2015

Looks like an honest watch

monto and JasonPDX like this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 25, 2015

I think it is probably the start of a great love affair.....
    nice watch -congratulations!

JasonPDX likes this.
  5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 25, 2015

I think that crown is original and came out of the factory with that watch. It may not be waterproofed any more but if you intend to wear it as a dress watch you don't need to change it.
    New replacement often comes in 18k gold color and looks mismatched.

JasonPDX likes this.
  6. JasonPDX Mar 25, 2015

Wow, thanks for the feedback already! Much appreciated.

That is awesome to know about the crown :) You guys are positive that its not supposed to be one of those domed shaped ones instead? Like I said it was hard to find many of these styles. If it is what you say it is on the crown, I will just leave it, don't think I have plans of swimming or bathing with it. ;)

My plan is to just have it cleaned and serviced, NO POLISHING. The crystal does have a little haze spot, as I am hoping it can all be buffed out. I would like to hunt down an original buckle? Any ideas what is best for that?

Edited Mar 25, 2015
  7. Geo! Mar 25, 2015

I serviced one about six weeks ago for a friend. The movements are superb and still capable of keeping excellent time. :). The only thing I don't like about these Constellations is...................I don't have one! :(

JasonPDX and Bruffell06 like this.
  8. JasonPDX Mar 25, 2015

That is fantastic! You serviced it yourself huh?
    I just keeping hunting Craigslist day and night :) I am an addict.
    This one popped up and the price was right so I jumped!

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2015

It can have both types, depending when it was made or if it was changed in service, but Hoi is quite correct. We have discussed this crown on 14381 before here.

JasonPDX likes this.
  10. JasonPDX Mar 25, 2015

Very cool, I appreciate the information, now I don't have to go CROWN HUNTING :)

11. Briancbyrne Mar 25, 2015

Thanks - I was given it in 2000 by my father who had swapped it in the early eighties for a camper van !! Unfortunately tho I didnt give it the respect it deserved and broke the strap playing soccer!
    Can anyone tell me if that could be the original strap?
    Thanks
    Brian

12. Briancbyrne Mar 25, 2015

Would this fit my watch?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191538014367Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network @eBay

13. JasonPDX Mar 25, 2015

I am not sure, wish I knew more my friend. Problem is most watch stores you call just like any brick and motor place hate giving you advice because they are not making money:(

14. JasonPDX Mar 25, 2015

Thanks for the welcome note! I agree with everything you are saying, and I just hope the movement looks to be in great condition :)

15. Martinibianco Mar 26, 2015

The 14381 is a beautiful watch, the 551 movement is excellent. Enjoy it!

Here's mine in SS on a BOR bracelet. It's a double-signed Turler dial and like yours, does not have the "Officially Certified" script.

image.jpg
    gippo, mozartman, balaja and 5 others like this.
  16. KIMBER Mar 26, 2015

Beautiful watch Martini.

17. JasonPDX Mar 26, 2015

Yes, just fantastic! I will post pics of mine once serviced and cleaned up :)

18. Hijak Mar 26, 2015

I'm a little late to the party but Jason you have a very nice Constellation there. It looks all original and in excellent shape. As Martini said the 14381 is a beautiful watch and one of my favorite Constellations! Here's mine which is identical to yours...
    Wrist Shot, 2.JPG
    Congratulations on a great find and enjoy your new Constellation!

GregH, mozartman, balaja and 11 others like this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2015

Rose
    14381z.jpg

sphinx77, gippo, felsby and 12 others like this.
  20. JasonPDX Mar 26, 2015

This is very cool to see all these unique examples, they are all so fantastic!!! Love the Rose Gold :)