OMEGA Constellation “Manhattan” ref. 368.1201 SS/18K Automatic cal. 1120 Date

Decades before I really had much interest in watches, in my mid-20’s, I can recall seeing an Omega Manhattan and thinking that I would enjoy owning such a striking timepiece. Much later, and I have evolved somewhat into an Omega collector. Rather predictably so, as I started with early Seamasters and typical Constellations, graduated to an SMP300, and then a couple of Speedies. The itch for a Manhattan never went away though, and a few months ago the stars aligned and I won a nice stainless with 18k bezel, crown, logo on clasp, and half-bars. I immediately sent it off to my watchmaker, and just got it back. This smaller watch wears so well, and I just grin when I put it on. An interesting observation is that the flat surfaces don’t exactly scratch, but instead scuff. This example had been regularly worn, but I wouldn’t say abused. The result is that it has very consistent soft-scuffing, and gives an odd impression something like a “Damascus” blade.

This “Connie” contains a nice Omega caliber 1120 automatic 23 Jewel “day” movement. This rhodium-plated movement is thoroughly decorated, adjusted in numerous positions, and signed. This 28800 bph movement was just serviced. It tested on the Timegrapher position and delivered +1/-2 seconds per day; a balance wheel amplitude at full wind of 276 degrees; and a beat error of 0.0 milliseconds. As most already know, this caliber is based on the eta 2892-A2, which has a reputation of being very easy to regulate to high specs. This example would seem to validate that.

Spec sheet:

Omega ref 368.1201 ss/18k auto cal 1120 date

Width w/o Crown: 35.05 mm, w/”griffes”

Length: 38.45 mm

Depth: 9.95 mm w/crystal

Lug Width: 23.00 mm

Bezel Diameter: 33.45 mm

Crystal: 27.00Dia mm, in watch. Flat corundum

Crown: 4.05Dia mm, signed

Case Back Diameter: 34.55 mm

Clasp Width: 17.05 mm, signed

Inside case back inscription: IAD; Acier Inoxyable; Omega symbol and Omega Watch Company, inside triangle; GX; Fab. Suisse; Swiss Made; A compass star with the letters C, R, S, A, 90 degrees apart; 368.1201

Engraving on outside case back: embossed Observatory w/8 stars; serial number

Movement: cal. 1120 23 jewel Automatic,; 28800 bph, adjusted to five positions

Timegrapher 1900 readings: +1/-2 seconds a day; 276 degrees of amplitude; 0.0 milliseconds of beat error; 53 degrees lift angle

Engraving on Movement: serial number over Swiss Twenty Three Jewels; Adjusted to Five Positions and Temperature; Omega symbol over 1120 under balance; Omega symbol above Omega Watch Co 1120 engraved on Rotor

Notes: Exceptionally detailed diamond quilt linen dial with applied furniture such as the Omega symbol; date frame; star; dauphine hands; baton indexes; and slender sweep with baton counter weight-all in gold. Serial number on movement matches case back number.

This is one of the only watches that I have bought in decent running condition that I didn't wear about a bit before sending it off to the watchmaker. So now I have worn it briefly (still waiting for one more link from Singapore) for a couple of hours at a time. Woke up in the middle of the night {I'm 73} and noticed a dial glowing in the dark that didn't look familiar. Turned on the light, and it is the Manhattan. Got my loupe out and sure enough there very tiny and tidy semi circular lume plots on top of each baton index. Thought it was cool enough to add a "lume shot".

I've just bought one but Gold & Steel Bracelet is to tight would need one link would you know what link it is Watch Ref 3681201 Cal. 1120.
Thanks.

have you tried anything to remove the scratches on the bracelet.

I like the scuffing. The most I would do, even if I didn't, would be to hand-use a polishing (selvyt) cloth.

I'm going to remove each link and try to get it back to brushed steel. just awaiting a new link, really looking forward to wearing it.

Make sure you remove the bracelet from the watch head and thoroughly clean it in an ultrasonic first. The links attach by a pin and collar, and the little caps on the end get a lot of grime in them. Difficult to push them out without damaging the caps if they are not spotless.

Thanks for the heads up I'll take my time and let you know how it goes.

I do like the Manhattan model I must say... Most people don't which is all benefits to new potential buyers 😀

One will surely incorporate my collection one of these days.

Enjoy yours and thanks for sharing