Forums Latest Members

OMEGA “Dynamic” ref 166.039 SS Automatic cal 565 Date

1. gmmy775 Apr 1, 2022

Got this a few months back, without a bracelet or strap. Located both blue and a brown leather replica straps and chose the blue one to match the dial. Like the vintage ads say, this shape is super comfortable on the wrist. And the oval case is conspicuously wider than most of my vintage Omegas. Attaching the strap was a bit of a learning experience, as none of my normal caseback tools and spanners would allow me to apply enough pressure evenly to get the thread started. Lucky me, I had a 3D printed six-tab tool that came with a transparent sapphire back I had bought for another vintage Omega. It has a 1.5 inch handle that allows you to press down and turn at the same time. Once the thread caught (and I had determined that it wasn't cross-threaded) I spent the next three weeks easing it down a fifth of a turn at a time. Then I would let it set for a few days to compress the leather, and give it another twist. It is now pretty darn secure, and I can only see one thread peaking out from the ring. Getting it off might be another matter.

Only problem is that I have caveman wrists, like 8.5 inches, and straps are always an issue for me. This one actually catches the last hole and is wearable, but a but snugger than I generally like. If anyone knows where to get a 1153/138 stainless bracelet, or even the ring part that attaches to the case, please let me know. I am considering carving one myself in wax and casting it in 14K white. Or maybe even 10K, as 14K may not have the rigidity.
    DSC_2332c6.JPG DSC_2337.JPG DSC_2340.JPG DSC_2339.JPG DSC_2444.JPG DSC_2335.JPG
    OMEGA “Dynamic” ref 166.039 SS Automatic cal 565 Date

Spec sheet:

Omega ref 166.039 ss auto cal 565 date

Width w/o Crown: 41.00 mm

Length: 36.30 mm w/lugs

Depth: 7.55 mm wo/crystal, 11.10 mm w/crystal

Lug Width: NA

Crystal: 32.65Dia mm, in watch. Domed acrylic, with Omega symbol

Crown: 4.40Dia mm, signed

Inside case back inscription; Top loader case not opened. This case is typically inscribed: Omega symbol and Omega Watch Company, inside triangle; Fond Acier Inoxydable; 165.033; 166.033; 165.039; 166.039; A circle with an upside down triangle over an M

Engraving on outside case back: Tool 107; Waterproof

Movement: cal. 565 24 jewel Automatic, copper plated; 19800 bph, not known if these are adjusted

Timegrapher 1900 readings in dial up position: +29-39 seconds a day; 210 degrees of amplitude; 0.6 milliseconds of beat error; 52 degrees lift angle

Engraving on Movement (typical): Twenty-Four 24 Jewels; number 1 inside Omega symbol, with 565 below and serial number above; Omega Watch Co Swiss engraved on Rotor

Notes: Oval Shaped sans-lug case with faint radial brushing that does not appear to have been polished. Sunburst Dial is relatively unmarked. Attached strap is not original Corfam, but a leather replica. I generally do not open up "top loaders", unless they need service. Timegrapher readings in dial up position.

tnt9 likes this.