Forums Latest Members
  1. teamlarge Apr 30, 2016

Hi, can anyone help me with some information regarding this clock, where is the best place to sell a clock like this. Many thanks.

20160429_184728.jpg 20160429_184800.jpg 20160429_184824.jpg
  2. dialstatic Apr 30, 2016

Posting it here because you have no access to the sales thread and then hoping for a private message with an offer seems like a good bet....:whipped:

JimInOz likes this.
  3. omegasaso12 Apr 30, 2016

First time I see Omega like this. Very nice. 8 days. Would be nice to have it.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 30, 2016

Stick it on ebay UK with a no reserve.

The market will decide and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

teamlarge likes this.
  5. Finrod Felagund Apr 30, 2016

Either you sell it to a vintage shop or you can try catawiki for auctions.

teamlarge likes this.
  6. teamlarge Apr 30, 2016

Sorry, I'm a new member and not sure what I'm allowed write and where I should be writing it. Honestly I'm just after some advice on where to sell....auction room, ebay etc..

7. dialstatic Apr 30, 2016

I don't know if I'd go the catawiki route. They may have a recurring clocks auction, but the fact that I, as a regular visitor to catawiki, don't know for sure already shows that you're probably not reaching your audience (Omega collectors) via that route. This will not be accepted in the regular watch auctions, as it'd not a watch. Every couple of weeks, they have an 'exclusive Omega' auction, where I also see collectibles other than watches occasionally. That might work.

teamlarge likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 30, 2016

Have a look at auction room commissions and possible returns.

Then look at ebay with global reach and reasonable charges.

How much do you want for it?

teamlarge likes this.
  9. Finrod Felagund Apr 30, 2016

10. Finrod Felagund Apr 30, 2016

11. OMTOM Apr 30, 2016

I can tell you a bit about your clock – not all good news I’m afraid.

The movement is a 59-8D SCS which was first produced in 1941. The ‘SCS’ stands for ‘seconde au centre sautante’ which means ‘jump second’. The movement was produced to chronometer standards and the jump second allowed it to be read easily.

The movement was a development of the original 59-8D (first produced in 1926) but had this extra ‘layer’ which was the jump second mechanism. The jumping second could be ‘hacked’ (stopped) by twisting a knob. Omega introduced a modification (a ‘Transformation’) in 1942 (the ‘T1’ version) which changed the method of hacking – they removed this knob and hacking was done instead by pressing down on the time setting knob.

Turning to your clock, you will notice that it doesn’t have a second hand – it should! Probably because of a problem at some time, the complete mechanism for the jump second has been removed, as has the second hand. The clock could still be keeping good time – but it is no longer a 59-8D SCS.

To confirm what I have described, you will see on your movement that there are three holes that penetrate the cover. At 11 o’clock there is the winding key. At three o’clock is the time-setting knob – and at two o’clock there is an empty hole – the twist hacking knob should fit through this hole. You can still see the shaft onto which the hacking knob should fit.

A T1 version of your clock would have only two holes through the cover, hacking being done by pressing the time-setting knob at three o’clock.

As for selling your clock, as someone has already described, maybe someone on this forum will see it and PM you – alternatively you could try eBay. But I’m afraid it will remain a clock without a second hand unless someone has the parts to replace the mechanism. Or it might be bought for parts.

Tom

12. teamlarge Apr 30, 2016

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, much appreciated.

13. dialstatic Apr 30, 2016

Looking for something else, I just came across this clock in the 2007 omegamania auction results having sold for something like €8,500. But then again, if we were to go by that, my PloProf would be worth €30k :whistling:

14. cristos71 Apr 30, 2016

€1500 - €2500 in good condition. This one......I reckon €700 - € 1000 due to the problems already mentioned

omegasaso12 likes this.
  15. dialstatic Apr 30, 2016

The omegamania estimate (almost a decade ago now) was €1300-€1500 so that sounds about right for a complete one.

16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 30, 2016

Hi

I disagree with your estimate .. I think it's Gota be lower . Basically you have a parts clock unless someone is sitting on the parts needed to complete another project clock .

Auction would be best way to sell with full disclosure on the clock being incomplete.

Good hunting

Bill Sohne

17. cristos71 Apr 30, 2016

I hear what you are saying and agree it is now pretty much a parts clock, but I do think that somebody who has a tatty plain old mahogany version would maybe like to pick this one up for the nice pierced case and do an old swapperoo on it. And that added value to a beaten up version is how I came to my estimation.

18. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 30, 2016

Hi

Then it's a modded item , value is totally based on a very unique individual. That will not bear out across an open market . Like to restore my dads watch cost is secondary . But will not translate to increase in value or resale .

Just a thought .

Best

Bill

19. cristos71 Apr 30, 2016

Hi Bill,

You disagree with my thoughts on what it could bring but haven't given your own ideas on value. Could be helpful with the discussion to hear some numbers from you.

20. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 30, 2016

Hi Christos71

Let say someone wants to buy it for the case and do a swap... How muc would you pay for it as a case? 300$ 500$? Then you swap it around and you wild never get the funds back.

Best bet and the most challenging would go spend like 800$ for its and try to restore it , once restored I think it's a 4000$ clock any day of the week . 8 day jump seconds 20 jewles and chronometre grade .

Best

Bill