Omega CK2039 Sector dial Super jumbo 44mm sold at auction

Hey folks,

Just spotted this super-rare beauty at a traditional auction in last minute.
I haven't been aware of this model, so first thought it was a pocket watch conversion.

The caseback engravings looked a bit suspicious, as if they had been engraved by a 5 year old. But still wasn't 100%, so i did a little research.
Well, i couldn't have been more wrong!

My research lead to just a handful results, mostly of past auctions - Phillips, Christie's, etc. - not a bad start.
Then, on close inspection, the dial, hands, case, even the caseback engravings proved to be too similar to that of the previously auctioned ones to be fake, so it must be original. And hell yeah it is.

A super-rare 44mm jumbo Omega, most likely ref CK2039, presumably from 1938.

Sold for £6600 + 31.14% commission = £8655

I wanted to share & document here for future reference.

Let's see your thoughts 😀

32503cd4-7661-406c-8bbe-afc700add854.jpg

711540b1-a544-4e42-98fe-afc700accc58.jpg

fcff18ca-df4a-41b0-90c4-afc700ad54fd.jpg

4d7500a1-2226-49db-af77-afc700abfa80.jpg

d6cf09ba-84d9-4493-8c21-afc700ad2f61.jpg

a3945f1c-a0a3-46b9-bdce-afc700ac3596.jpg

Capture.JPG

I am skeptical of the originality of the case. Setting aside the dubious engravings, every other CK2039 that I can find in a quick search is steel, and the subject mid-case appears to be chromed.

The first two on google seem to have chromed cases?

The first one appears to be fully steel, and, like your example, is marked as such inside the case back "acier staybright". That the extract says "chromed" is further evidence, to my mind, that these examples may not be trustworthy.

Conversely, the second one appears to be chrome, yet Christie's describes it as being "stainless steel", further supporting my skepticism.

I am not arguing that they are all fakes, as it appears that there is such a reference. But I am skeptical that Omega would mark steel case backs "acier" on watches with chrome mid/top-cases.

The first one appears to be fully steel, and, like your example, is marked as such inside the case back "acier staybright". That the extract says "chromed" is further evidence, to my mind, that these examples may not be trustworthy.

Conversely, the second one appears to be chrome, yet Christie's describes it as being "stainless steel", further supporting my skepticism.

I am not arguing that they are all fakes, as it appears that there is such a reference. But I am skeptical that Omega would mark steel case backs "acier" on watches with chrome mid/top-cases.

I hear you are not arguing they are all fakes but the first one doesn't look steel in the images, you can literally see the wear through the plating, and the extract is from that watch. The second is clearly chrome from the picture IMO. Obviously auction house descriptions are known to be expertly useless so I wouldn't give that any weight what so ever - we seem to have completely different conclusions. Even the base metals look the same colour. Not defending every element of the watch, just that they are chromed.

1st

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 16.58.23.png

2nd

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 17.04.46.png

Not defending every element of the watch, just that they are chromed.

I agree that they likely are chrome plated. Which begs the question, why the anomalous "acier staybright", rather than the correct "fond acier" on the case backs? Were they, in a sense, Franken-watches, that Omega rushed into production to fill an order?

Also, why the dubious, apparently hand-engraved markings?

I agree that they likely are chrome plated. Which begs the question, why the anomalous "acier staybright", rather than the correct "fond acier" on the case backs? Were they, in a sense, Franken-watches, that Omega rushed into production to fill an order?

Also, why the dubious, apparently hand-engraved markings?

Yes we agree on that, I don't know the answers to the other irregularities, just that they are consistently chromed in the case body and consistently strange 😁

That extract—a watch produced in late 1938 and delivered to Poland, presumably sometime in 1939… Guessing that’s a piece that would have a story to tell, if watches could talk.

It would seem a few of these goliaths were sent to Poland during the Second Polish Republic. According to the auction description, this 43mm Tissot had some Polish provenance...
upload_2023-3-25_20-15-49.png

...and mine has Polish hallmarks, suggesting it was cased there, circa 1938:
upload_2023-3-25_20-24-3.jpeg

Does anyone know the casemakers mark?
upload_2023-3-25_20-27-54.png