Omega Centenary Ref. 2500 vs. Museum Edition No. 5 Ref. 5704.60.02

Dear watch lovers,

I am new here to the forum and also relatively new to Omega Vintage watches. Among aome othe rbrands and contemporary modells, from Omega I currently own a Speedmaster MarkII Ref 145.014 and a Constellation Ref. 1502.40.00 and am looking for ideas to add something golden to my collection.

During some research towards this direction, I stumbled across the Constellation's predecessor line, the Centenary line with, among others, Ref. 2500. Production started in 1948, solid-gold, chronometer (first automatic chrometer movement for the company's 100th anniversary). The watch was produced exclusively in solid gold and in limited numbers before it was replaced by the Constellation series a few years later.

Unfortunately, there is very little information about this watch on the web, apart from an article on Fratello's, I didn't find much background info about this reference.

In the 2000s, as part of the museum line No. 5 Ref. 5704.60.02 was introduced with a slightly larger format, rose-gold and equipped with a contemporary Co-Axial movement.

I really like both of them and could imagine adding them to my modest collection if the opportunity arises. Of course, the search for a good example of the 2500 in particular takes time, patience and a little luck.

Here are my questions for you:

Does anyone here have one or even both of these references?

why is there hardly any content about these watches on the web?

In your opinion, would a full gold Constellation Vintage be a better alternative? If so, why and which ones?

For me as a vintage beginner: what do I have to pay attention to? Due to the limited content found, it is difficult to make real comparisons to an original, untampered watch when it comes to potential offers.

Which do you like better: Original Vintage or Re-Edition and why?

Thank you
Biaesch

Thank you.

Still any recommendations for alternatives in the Constellation Line or any in-person experiences with the re-issue from the Museum Line?

Thank you.

Still any recommendations for alternatives in the Constellation Line or any in-person experiences with the re-issue from the Museum Line?
I have the 5704.60.02 full kit if you are interested to discuss. Beautiful watch!

I have one of each version of the Centenary in an original silver box.

upload_2024-3-9_23-30-40.jpeg

upload_2024-3-9_23-31-35.jpeg

I’m sure that the new version would be a better everyday watch. After all, it’s not 75 years old like my two.

But the new one will not have the character of the old ones.

It’s all about what you want.
gatorcpa

PS - There is a lot of information out there on the vintage versions. This is one of the best:

https://download1509.mediafire.com/...94hgy4smxui/Omega_Constellation_Gene_Pool.pdf

Like 9
Original vintage centenary (NOS):

upload_2024-3-9_22-21-30.jpeg

Museum edition:

upload_2024-3-9_22-22-15.jpeg

Like 19
Original vintage centenary (NOS):

upload_2024-3-9_22-21-30.jpeg

Museum edition:

upload_2024-3-9_22-22-15.jpeg
Wow, is the vintage one yours?

I sm probably way too late but: dibs:whistling:

Wow, is the vintage one yours?

I sm probably way too late but: dibs:whistling:
Yes they’re both part of my collection. The vintage one has original strap, 18k buckle and hangtag. This is a photo of the back:

upload_2024-3-10_12-9-10.jpeg

Like 16
Yes they’re both part of my collection. The vintage one has original strap, 18k buckle and hangtag. This is a photo of the back:

Incredible! Congratulations on one of the nicest watches! :)

This is my re-issue. Super piece!
fBFzKQd

Wow, fantastic, thank you all for sharing pics of these phenomenal pieces.

Could anyone post a pic of the original clasp/buckle of the 2500? I came across a couple of interesting offers, but all with different types of buckles, so no idea which ones are authentic.

Could anyone post a pic of the original clasp/buckle of the 2500?
Ask and you shall receive:

upload_2024-3-11_6-54-19.png

upload_2024-3-11_6-48-33.png

This watch seems to have the original gold springbars as well. It is currently listed on eBay at a strong price, but as @Bill Sohne likes to say, “Go find another”.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314920564706
gatorcpa

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Like 2
Thanks for the quick reply and help. The price is strong indeed, but full sets are rare to find...

Seconds hand is not authentic either.

And that price! :eek:
gatorcpa

Like 1
Thank you, appreciate.

I guess I have to be patient or go for the museum re-issue in red gold which I like a lot, too.

Wow! Just wow! This is a beautiful watch, I have never seen one in these conditions and I have been looking a lot at these watches recently, kudos for your collection. If you do not mind my asking: it has a sticker on the back, does it "conceal" the engraving "Omega Centenary" or it is supposed to stay there?

Wow! Just wow! This is a beautiful watch, I have never seen one in these conditions and I have been looking a lot at these watches recently, kudos for your collection. If you do not mind my asking: it has a sticker on the back, does it "conceal" the engraving "Omega Centenary" or it is supposed to stay there?

Maybe on the engraving but would rather keep the sticker on rather than finding out.

Like 1
I believe it is a wise decision to keep the sticker on! I would do the same if I were you.