Forums Latest Members

Omega case finishing vs. other brands

1. Shem Aug 23, 2014

How do others feel about Omega's case finishing -- both polished and brushed -- versus other brands? When I compare my Omegas against my Rolex Yacht-Master, for instance, the fineness and the depth of the polishing and brushing seems a bit better on the Rolex. Moving further up in price point, some of the best case finishing I've ever seen was on steel Pateks (to be expected, I suppose). Is this my imagination, or is there really a significant difference in the level of polishing/brushing between brands? Perhaps a watchmaker certified in multiple brands (Al?) could chime in on the reality of how each brand performs finishing?

2. Spy You know my name. Aug 24, 2014

I do prefer the polishing on Rolex's. My SMP has polished lugs on top and brushed on the side but it does not sparkle like the Sub. The amount of polishing Rolex does might play a role, but also Rolex polishes the side of the case rather than the top like OMEGA. Fewer scratches and wear on the side = better shine. My SMP has zero marks on the brushed sides. Also, I would liked it if the scallops were polished.