Omega Calibre 286 from 1962: Service Now or Delay

Hi.

I'm looking at a watch from 1962, manual winding calibre 286. The seller has timegrapher pictures showing a rate of +1 s/d, 191° amplitude, and a beat error of 0.1 ms. (Watch is shown in dial up position, no information on winding status.) Seller also says a local watchmaker has examined the watch and assured him that it does not need service. No service history is available.

The rate and beat error do seem excellent, but I'm less sanguine about the amplitude. My inclination would be to plan on and buget for a service right away, regardless of the seller's watchmaker's advice. Do the experts here think I'm being overly cautious?

I am happy to be corrected if I have missed anything here but assuming you have set the lift angle correctly and that is right, an amplitude that low is bad news. I am surprised if it runs well for very long. You want it nearer 300º not below 200º. Yes it needs a service IMO.

Fwiw, a quote from this thread attributed to the invaluable @Archer suggests that Omega specifications for the 30T2 family are a minimum amplitude of 190°. That’s essentially the same movement (but older) and does apply 24 hours after winding.

Fwiw, a quote from this thread attributed to the invaluable @Archer suggests that Omega specifications for the 30T2 family are a minimum amplitude of 190°. That’s essentially the same movement (but older) and does apply 24 hours after winding.
So does 191º sound good to you if the minimum is 190º when he has probably fully wound it 5 minutes prior? I think you have already answered your own question.

Your watch, your choice. Everyone has a different approach towards servicing their vintage watches. There are whole threads on the topic.

So does 191º sound good to you[?]

Nope. As I noted in starting the thread, I believe the watch needs a service. I simply wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting.

Every watch you buy always needs a service until your own personal watchmaker says it doesn't.

Clearly this implies you will build a relationship with a watchmaker. They're not interchangeable, and once you find one you can appreciate for skill and talent, never go anywhere else.

Every watch you buy always needs a service until your own personal watchmaker says it doesn't.

Definitely. In some respects my initial post was poorly phrased. If I purchase the watch, I will get it serviced. It's more a question of when.

There is a subtlety here, though. If I tell the seller that I plan on getting the watch serviced because that's my standard procedure with new purchases, he may well respond with something like "That's fine. It's your choice." But if I can legitimately explain to the seller that the watch needs a service because it has a demonstrated problem (e.g. low amplitude), then he may be more willing to compromise on the price in compensation. Or maybe not. I guess we'll see.

Clearly this implies you will build a relationship with a watchmaker. They're not interchangeable, and once you find one you can appreciate for skill and talent, never go anywhere else.

One thousand times yes. I've been hoping to find one local in the Atlanta area but have so far struck out. But I'm not giving up.

If you want to wear/run it now, service it now. If not it can be delayed.
Edited: