Omega Cal 564 Beat error

Firstly I should say I am a novice watchmaker with fair experience on Seiko movements.
I wanted to service my Omega Constellation cal 564 my grandfather passed to me.
On the 1900 timer it was running very fast +300 with a beat error of 0.6
I can regulate it to its max setting giving +150 at best
I adjusted the beat lever to slow down rate to +4 but of course the beat error has increased to 7.3ms
So how can I get both rate and beat error in harmony?
Should I shorten the balance spring by adjusting stud screw or is there a collet to adjust?
Or am I looking at this all wrong? Your thoughts and help would be appreciated before go deeper.

That kind of error indicates there far more than a simple adjustment required. If the watch has not been serviced, that is step #1...

Yes , I have cleaned and lubricated it (except the pallet fork exit jewel). Thanks for the response, what could be step 2 ?

It's very likely then that the balance spring needs to be adjusted for flatness, concentricity, and centering between the regulating pins. Also the spacing of the regulating pins needs to be checked.

The pins look slightly tapering towards the top. I don't know if this is acceptable or not TBH.

Coils are no where near being concentric. regulating pin spacing needs adjusting - pins should be parallel.

Thanks Archer I'll have a go at the pins but the coils I wouldn't know where to start ! Maybe a NOS complete balance is the answer.

Thanks Archer I'll have a go at the pins but the coils I wouldn't know where to start ! Maybe a NOS complete balance is the answer.

The answer is learning how to manipulate balance springs, but I wouldn't recommend you start that process on this watch. I would suggest buying some junkers to learn on...

You will have the same factors to consider if you were to fit a balance complete, be it NOS, or from a donor watch. If you were to consider either of these two options, you’d be better off having the job done for you.

Sorry what factors? Wouldn't a new balance be reasonably regulated not +300 sec/day fast.

Sorry what factors? Wouldn't a new balance be reasonably regulated not +300 sec/day fast.

Your call! Be sure to keep us updated!

Well I straightened the pins but that hasn't improved the running fast issue. I'm going to wait some before tackling the HS, need more experience like you say. The watch has a lot of sentimental value to me as it was my Grandfathers and I would like it get it right.Thank for your help guys.

@Archer do you have a photo of how a 550 series hairspring should look from the top for reference? I use your reference photos a lot but don't have this specific one bookmarked if it exists

I find this video useful:
- the tweezer + oiler method is good, but on your hairspring I can't see the obvious issue, however I assume the photo you took is when you set it to the 7.3ms beat error position - I suspect you'll need to correct one of those 2 curves instead of fixing a bend, and it's probably a very advanced fix if so

Edit: And also a stupid question, but a must-do before any timing correction, have you demagnetised the watch?

It's a good question if the picture was of the HS at a high beat error, TBH I cant remember. I had been adjusting it quite a lot.I will post some pictures again with the beat error at 0ms but very high speed, later. Thank You Kaplan I will study this video carefully.

@Archer do you have a photo of how a 550 series hairspring should look from the top for reference? I use your reference photos a lot but don't have this specific one bookmarked if it exists

You don't really need a specific photo to resolve the issues that the OP has with the balance spring. If you simply look at what he has shown, you can clearly see that the coil spacing on one side of the spring is very different from the other side. This is basic stuff that is not caliber specific...

One thing the OP hasn't shared yet is what the balance amplitudes are on the watch he is working on. If he can give us a full set of readings at full wind over 6 positions (with the lift angle set properly to 49 degrees) it may offer more insight.

Having said all that, since he has indicated this is an important family heirloom, my advice would be to take this to a watchmaker, rather than risk doing any damage to it.

Hey Guys I did say first off I was a novice and I made a novice mistake. After cleaning and lubricating I was sure I had de-magnetised the movement.
Well I couldn't have because after de-magnetising it tonight I could regulate the HS to -1 to +3 in different positions with a BE of 0 to 0.3
I feel a bit foolish but also very happy that is working smoothly.
Thank you for your help it was much appreciated.