Forums Latest Members

Omega cal 481 - Restore nicotine stained dial?

1. WestCoastTime Feb 17, 2023

I'm theorising that the interior surround for the inside of the case gave some protection to the perimeter of the dial but the open field in the middle got stained over the years by cigarette smoke. (alternate theories welcome...)

PXL_20230217_024617240.jpg

Anyone know any good tricks to remove the grime while protecting the original finish & printing?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 17, 2023

You could try lightly rubbing it with a piece of Rodico, should at least remove the tarnish from the figures.

WestCoastTime likes this.
  3. RevZMan123 Feb 17, 2023

Or those sticky little Bergeon cleaning sticks

4. sheepdoll Feb 17, 2023

+1

The problem is these are made out of butterfly wings.

Any solvent is going to react with the dyes and lacquers used. Basically the printing is a water decal transferred with something called a pad printer. The process is similar to that used to produce currency. In some ways it can be argued that building such a printer and replicating the dial is literally counterfeiting.

The nicotine is basically also an ink, so the two have become one. Just think of what this has done to the inside of the body. And people fear radium.

It also does not help that the chemicals. (Including denatured alcohol) have been banned/restricted in this state from retail sales. (even though we breathe it during the manufacturing process.)

The other issue, is that currently Ladies movements and watches have fraction of the value of the others. I have quite a few in this condition. I have also noticed that some ladies also have not aged well. There was a feature on Kim Novak recently. Not to mention the Obits of Raquel Welsh and as Sophia Loren. I have also noticed that these days I myself look more like a fairy godmother in the mirror. Not that I am being judgemental on any of this. It simply is what it is.

At least unlike the 1990s when such watches were only 30 years old. At 60+ years the age of the dial has become a feature, and can be quite attractive and desirable.

The raised parts of the dial are called furniture. (Not to be confused with the use of this word in printing for the wooden blocks that hold the cuts and blocks of type together in the chase frame.) These are riveted on and the rivet heads ground off on the back.

I see someone else posted while I was writing this. I have been advised against Rodico as it can actually make it worse, by smearing the old particles and oils. (Not that I have given up on it myself.) Perhaps in moderation. I tried some distilled water and tissue paper (like a camera lens.) with mixed results.

The real question is the pitting on the plating of the furniture and hands. Chrome plating I am told is not for the amateur. The chrome itself is clear, and protects the underlying nickel.

marco and WestCoastTime like this.
  5. Bruce235 Feb 17, 2023

You may not want to start unless you are prepared for a bad outcome.

Cleaning only the figures and hands may be the safer approach.

Archer, WestCoastTime and sheepdoll like this.
  6. sheepdoll Feb 17, 2023

Some people use the glue in post it notes. I have not tried that.

Pulling scotch tape apart from itself creates X-rays. as one is actually breaking the weak atomic bonds. So one wants to use the lightest possible. (as long as the glue itself is not transferred.)

7. sheepdoll Feb 17, 2023

+1 again. I speak from experience.

stripped dial.png

edit: note I did this nearly 30 years ago and I am still working on ways to fix it.

WestCoastTime and RevZMan123 like this.