Forums Latest Members

Plate & Moonphase-dial for 1940s cal 481 Tri-Compax

1. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 18, 2015

Hi,
    Some of you guys may already know I have ref 12253 cal 481 18K Tri-Compax up for repair and restoration.
    I have managed to source most of the parts needed but are still hunting for a part, and possible a moonphase disc.

:thumbsup:ANY LEADS WHERE I CAN FIND THESE PARTS ARE HIGHLY VALUED!:thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:I will of course also offer to purchase these from any good member of this great forum!:thumbsup:

Part 2552 MOD: plate for the calendar section:
    2551MOD.jpg
    I am also curious to know what you think of the moonphase disc. Should I try to source one "fresher", or leave it be?
    The dial itself is in very much better state.
    Moonphase.jpg

The rest:
    IMG_3351.JPG

2. waXology Aug 18, 2015

Try Blake at scotch watch. I was trying to source day and month discs in english and a moonphase disc for my 287 but he only has smaller ones (8.3mm)

He has 287 ones listed on his site but he's confirmed he got the mixed up :(

That being said anyone with 287 sized day and month discs in english willing to sell or swap for Portugese let me know ;)

Good luck.

Northernman likes this.
  3. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 19, 2015

Thanks for the tip!
    I will see what I can find. The 2551 MOD plate is listed as "in stock" so at least I now have all the needed mechanical parts sorted.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jordn likes this.
  4. waXology Aug 19, 2015

No problems.

I think the moon disc is #2587/1 (I believe this is interchangeable through all of the calendar models) Could be wrong though.

Northernman likes this.
  5. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 19, 2015

Thanks again,
    As far as I have learnt there are two (at least) different designs of the moon disc. The old style (like mine) has a face on the moon symbol, opposed to the more modern one which has a blank moon face.
    I will see what comes up, and if any one has one, do not be shy to PM me :)
    ;):thumbsup:

nicolas07 likes this.
  6. rhygin13 Aug 19, 2015

Oh man, I was going to advocate keeping to moon disc as-is, but then I scrolled down to see the dial. Stunning.

I'll be following this thread as I've always wondered about what it's like to keep a tri-compax running.

gatorcpa and Northernman like this.
  7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Aug 19, 2015

Blake is a great source for UG parts, but shhhhh let's keep that on the down low ;).

My vote is to keep the original moonphase disc. These first series discs take on some heavy patina in general, but I think it looks great especially against the backdrop of the gold hour markers and case.

Good luck with finding a sweep second chrono hand! Unfortunately, I think you may have to just take one from a cheap (relatively) redialed compax because I have never seen it in the wild. I look forward to seeing the end result :)

nicolas07 and Northernman like this.
  8. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 19, 2015

Seeep second hand is secured:)
    Stay tuned!;)

nicolas07 and jordn like this.