Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 8, 2013

I have an Omega Automatic (OT 2767) from 1955 with a cal 354.

I got the watch with the original box and warranty booklet.

The box liner and lid refers to the watch as Omega Seamaster Automatic Chronometer.

My extract from the archives doesn't mention anything about chronometer rating.

Did these movements have a group of chronometer graded items?

Some pics are here.

WRUW today?

2. John R Smith Jun 8, 2013

If your 354 is chronometer rated, it will have the "Adjusted five (5) positions and temperatures" legend engraved on the rotor. The Omega database lists your case (2767) as chronometer certified, so that supports your provenance.

John

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 8, 2013

Thanks John,

That concurs with my observations, however the "Adjusted five (5) positions and temperatures" doesn't appear on my movement.

I'm not too concerned about it, just the WIS coming out in me. I think I'll just get a nice strap for it and enjoy it :)

P1010237 copy.jpg

4. John R Smith Jun 8, 2013

The movement is probably 1953, working from the serial number which is a late 13xxxxxx item. But not COSC certified, unless someone swapped the rotor.

John

5. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2013

The dial would say CHRONOMETER if it came from Bienne rated as such. Many Seamasters had non-chronometer 354's in them. Lots of possibilities here - John points out one:

Others are the movement and dial were swapped out completely, or what IMO is more likely is that the box isn't original to the watch - either the seller added it later <or> the dealer gave the original buyer the wrong box (two equally likely scenarios).

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2013

Case ref. 2767 is a non-chronometre seamaster case reference and your example is a typical one. I share Dennis' theory that the box has been incorrectly paired with the watch.

7. John R Smith Jun 8, 2013

Actually, I stumbled here, but you were all too kind to point it out - COSC didn't exist until 1970-something, so it would be whatever it was before that - BOs or whatever. It could be the wrong box, of course. The watch and the box could have been paired up quite recently, in fact. We can all buy boxes on eBay, these days.

John

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2013

Omega has had chronometre certified movements from the late 1930s - so it's not a dating issue. It's just that 2767 is typically a non-chronometre case reference.

9. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2013

Mike, I think what he means is that the organization Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres has only existed as COSC since 1973. Previously, there were other chronometer certification organizations - but they were all combined to make COSC.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 8, 2013

Here is a letter from the predecessor of the COSC (from Mondodec's Constellation Collector's website)

[​IMG]

Take care,
    gatorcpa

11. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2013

Man they had a lot of typos and misspellings back then! :p I can't understand a damn word.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2013

::confused2::
    Monsieur, vous n'êtes pas de Bienne?

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 11, 2013

Thanks for all of the comments and advice Gentlemen.

In summary, based on your feedback and my observations:

I'm 100% confident that the watch is completely original and the box doesn't belong with the watch (although it originally came with the watch).

The original owners have no idea on how to swap rotors or change dials or cases, they are definitely "WIS Muggles".
    The inside of the case bears no repair inscriptions, which were commonplace until recent times so I'd discount a service replacement rotor.

Taking it all into account, I'm of the opinion that the watch was sold with the box, possibly because it was the closest to hand, and in 1955 I don't think they worried about boxes as much as we do today, it was simply packaging to get it home.

All irrelevant really, but it does make this an interesting hobby when you start doing detective work.

Cheers

Jim

[​IMG]

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2013

Jim is that new?? While I certainly understand the meaning (think it is great), I have not seen it used. :thumbsup: Did you coin the combination?

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 11, 2013

I like it........WIS muggles. So we are WISzards?:D

16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 11, 2013

Us Yankee WISholes don't know what a "muggle" is. In St. Looey a muggle would be snuggling after a mugging!

Central Scrutinizer and JimInOz like this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 11, 2013

I saw it used in another connotation, can't remember perzakly where, not the watch world though, but the fanboys referred to those who weren't in the inner circle as muggles, obviously from HP.

It just struck me as fitting in this case, they hardly knew what a watch was, hence the appropriation of Ms Rowlings term.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 11, 2013

::rimshot::

19. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jun 11, 2013

Muggles and WISards :p I can see that catching on around here

20. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2013

We have WISdom.