Forums Latest Members

Omega Cal. 351 (Bumper) Gold Filled Case 11XXXXXX Serial

1. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 11, 2016

Evening friends,

Here is a Omega Cal. 351 bumper movement housed in a gold filled case carrying a 11M serial that I'd like to get the communities thoughts on. My initial assessment is as follow. Please remember, I am here to learn & am more than willing to accept all criticism, feedback, or help I can get! Thank you to anyone who participates in helping me learn more about this piece.

Title : Omega Cal 351
    Case : Clean on the upper portion, has oxidation under lugs. Indentation on tip of opposing lugs. Caseback has repair at 6-8 pos. marked "Wadsworth 14k GF" "G6213" below "T945477". This case back seems to lack quality imo. See lots of servicing signatures on the case back as well.
    Bezel : Oxidation at 11-1 pos, 4-6 pos, 8 - 10 pos. (Most of the bezel, but there are areas untouched.
    Movement : Cal. 351. Seems worn. Rotor seems like it doesn't fit, why is this? Is this ok? Dirty, could use proper servicing.
    Dial : "6" marker has fallen, besides that I need help determining how much of the dial is wrong or right. I looked at the markers and see oxidation consistant with the dial/bezel. I also see consistency in the number execution of the seconds markers.
    Hands : Seems to fit the markers properly, but I am not familiar enough with this dial or 1947 Omega.
    Serial : 11M serial dates the piece to 1947? Is this correct? What is the best resource to sourcing serial dates?
    Crown : Replaced, and unmarked. No Omega logo. Is it correct to assume that an authentic crown would always be marked, all the time?

Strap and buckle are garbage so no worries there...

Again, thank you for all time spent to helping me through this lovable journey through vintage Omega.

Here are photos of the piece.

omega.jpg omega2.jpg image1-3.JPG
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2016

Not an expert here but to my eye this is evenly patinated and a lovely candidate for restoration. I shall defer to experts however. I will say you are looking at a significant spa tab here.

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 11, 2016

I know next to nothing about Omega but this is a clear redial. This piece has very little going for it.

noelekal, MPWATCH and Davidt like this.
  4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 11, 2016

I'll leave it to others better judge the quality of the dial - I've had a quick look online, and though a few cal.351s look similar, I couldn't find one with the numbered inner track. However, that's not to say it's not authentic. Also, it may be due to the angle of the photos, but to me, the lugs look slightly out of alignment.

As a broad comparison on the subject of the movement, this article may be of interest (note - it's in two parts) http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-calibre-351/

5. gop76 Dec 11, 2016

To my eyes, the fallen 6 is the minor problem on that dial...

noelekal and MPWATCH like this.
  6. Egatdagi Dec 11, 2016

After WWII Omegas were shipped to the US without cases and case companies like Wadsworth installed the Omega movement into their case. They are neat little pieces of history but I believe the watch would need to be pristine to carry much collector value. I have one that is very similar and I love it but I'm not holding my breath for a big pay out if I choose to sell it.
    The dial in your example is redone. The print quality is poor and the fonts don't have serifs. You could do much better.

7. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Dec 11, 2016

I think the 351 was introduced in 1949 if memory serves me right. This one looks fairly oxidized and in need of a service. Yes, the crown should be signed. I'm not sure about the quality of the minute track printing, however it does match up well with the hands as you say. These Wadsworth cases are nice US made cases but are prone to wearing through under heavy wear hence the repair. My coworker's father's watch was worn right through in the same spot on the case back.

8. DON Dec 11, 2016

Rotor doesn't fit in what way? Although rotors look the same on top. Each movement has a slightly different design underneath.

Don't understand why Omega did this. Maybe each design improved the winding motion?

Different color, so may not be the right one. Have to remove and post the main section underside and someone needs a 351 to compare

DON

MPWATCH likes this.
  9. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 11, 2016

Thank you all for the help. I had the "No" gut feeling out of that gates, needed to reconfirm before passing it up 100%! Always room for improvement.

Looking forward to any additions,

Thomas

10. novina Dec 11, 2016

Dial is repainted. Inner track is uneven and the 5s in 25 and 35 are very different. Not totally bad, but would only be worth it for parts. And even than, not sure which ones.

MPWATCH likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2016

Always a journey ... these threads.

12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 12, 2016

13. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 12, 2016

Absolutely, I feel good that I was in pass mode out of the gates. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything here! Thanks to OF, I now have all information needed.

Thank you & Make today great,

Thomas

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 8.27.48 AM.png