Forums Latest Members
  1. Artifice Sep 18, 2016

Hello All,

I know the cal 286 doesn't have a hack feature but I just noticed this and would like to ask if this is normal with the 286 movement or if doing this regularly will damage the movement of the watch.

Is it alright to set the time using this method? The second hand stops when I put a little bit of pressure on it going counter clockwise and wait for it to get to :00 and then I let the crown go to set the time.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Canuck Sep 18, 2016

You won't do the watch any harm.

Artifice likes this.
  3. Artifice Sep 18, 2016

Good to know. Thank you!

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2016

I would not recommend making it run backwards - stopping is fine but I would have concerns about possibly chipping the pallet jewels if you make it run backwards...

5. Artifice Sep 18, 2016

Thank you for that Mr. Archer. I did not know that running it backwards would chip the jewels.

May I ask though what are the consequences of having chipped pallet jewels? Will it make the watch not function anymore or will it still function but not keep good time?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2016

A chipped pallet jewel can cause excess wear on the escape wheel, cause lubrication to be pulled away from the escape wheel tooth/pallet jewel interface, etc. It's unlikely to cause an immediate stoppage of the watch, but if it happens it can do long term damage.

Since the pallet fork for this movement is discontinued, I personally would not push my luck by running it backwards. Stop it and wait for time to catch up is the better option.

Cheers, Al

Artifice likes this.
  7. Artifice Sep 18, 2016

I understand. Thank you very much for sharing your expertise Mr. Archer. I learned something new today.

8. François Pépin Sep 18, 2016

Jendritzki does not recommand that either. Again because of the the pallets and lubrication issues at the escapement (the oil on the escape wheel possibly going on the "talon" of the pallets where it is not usefull).

Artifice likes this.