Forums Latest Members

Omega cal. 283 under consideration - first vintage need help!

1. Kathmandu! Dec 2, 2016

Dear Members,

This is my first post, after the introductory one, and I am here to ask your help about a vintage cal.283 that caught my attention this morning. I've spent the last months acquiring a basic understudying of different Omega lines, and horology in general, but I'm far from being able to buy a vintage watch on my own :(

So this is the watch: an Omega ref 2504, cal 283. The number reported in the case back should be '2504 - 8'. According to the seller, the dial is all original and the hands are in rose gold. No original buckle. The seller affirms that the watch has been recently serviced and he also offers 6 months warranty on it - but no possibility of return.

Overall, what do you think? Is this a genuine piece? I post below all the pictures I have (I've asked the seller to provide additional pictures). What would be the price for this?

Thank you very for your time and have a great day.

K. IMG-20161202-WA0006.jpg IMG-20161202-WA0007.jpg IMG-20161202-WA0008.jpg IMG-20161202-WA0000.jpg IMG-20161202-WA0001.jpg IMG-20161202-WA0009.jpg

2. ConElPueblo Dec 2, 2016

Have you tried googling the reference?

In general, if a dial looks as crisp and clean as this there is often reasonable cause for suspecting a redial. Also, if the case is very glossy and slick, you can nearly always count on it having been heavily polished...

None of these two points need to mean that the watch is horrible to wear or that you won't find it beautiful - but it will mean that it is of very limited attraction to collectors, who likes their old rubbish to be as close to original as possible. Have that in mind when evaluating possible purchases.

Also... Everything you need to evaluate the watch is there for you to see. The next time you find a watch you like, do spend 15-20 minutes doing some reseach and form a valid opinion before asking for the opinion here. Not (only) for our sake, but also to make you better at judging vintage watches on your own, enabling you to make a good deal on something without having to consult a bunch of strangers online first ;)

Evaluate the following simple characteristics of the watch:

1) Serial number. Look it up on an online database, see if it fits the year of manufacture.
    2) Overall condition of the watch case. Is it heavily polished? Is it pitted or gouged? Can you see the facets of the original finish?
    3) Dial... Is it too clean? Does the markers line up? Does it say "T SWISS MADE T" on a watch without tritium lume? Are the lines (if any) too thickly applied? Does the Omega logo fit the era of the watch's manufacture? (hint: it doesn't on this one...). Is the lume correct?

That's just a small part of it, but it will enable you to make at least partially reasoned decisions.

And welcome aboard :)

Jwit, aap, Vicke and 2 others like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 2, 2016

The dial is refinished, not original.

4. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 2, 2016

Welcome to OF,

@ConElPueblo has given the perfect instruction moving forward... I'd also suggest going through a few of the provided threads to learn what makes a dial re-finished and what makes a dial absolutely perfect in every way.

Refinished Dial Gallery
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/worst-redials.2304/

Fake Omega Gallery
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/don...omegas-post-them-here-not-for-questions.6235/

Usually it goes one of two ways, and if you have to jump back and forth between what you think the dial truly is....PASS! Better to see a questioned piece move a long to someone else, then to bite the bullet yourself. Many times you'll see very basic signs of quality & age that can't be reproduced by a dial that has been refinished. If it has been refinished and it's too close to call...again....PASS! I put "pass" in all caps because it's best to start your collecting career out with rigid guidelines with what to take the plunge on and what isn't worth the risk! All purchases are case by case, but set yourself up for success early on by maintaining strong guidelines...

I wish someone had told me this when I had started off.....I'd have more money laying around & would have saved a year or two of feeling the burn....This is the place to learn, and if you're serious about acquiring a respectable piece you'll stick around.

Wish you the best & Happy hunting!

Thomas

5. Kathmandu! Dec 2, 2016

Thank you very much all for your detailed replies. I appreciate you took time to provide a comprehensive feedback and suggestions!

The ebay seller is arguing that the dial is original - I asked him a question on eBay, before opening the thread, and he got back to me confirming that the dial was indeed original, oh dear!

I will continue my search and, if allowed (?), I will ask again your precious help.

Thanks again and have a great day!
    K.

6. heavenscloud Dec 2, 2016

Service dial? Looks too perfect to be a redial. Movement doesn't look bad (corrosion on the case screw in the bottom right--wouldn't be a deal breaker for me), but that doesn't mean there aren't problems that a competent watchmaker would find. Key word is "competent." There are a lot of hacks out there and just because someone calls himself a watchmaker doesn't mean the watch was serviced to high standards. If I bought this watch, I would send it to my watchmaker even though it has been "serviced," but that's just me.

7. Kathmandu! Dec 2, 2016

Interesting, I've just learned what a service dial is. Thanks for your point on the movement heavenscloud. Mmm so it's redial or service dial?

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 2, 2016

Omega does not have replacements for most older vintage watche dials. When this happens they send out the dial to a refinishing house to be redone. Some might still call this a service dial, I would not. The Ω on the above watch is a modern design. The watch is not.

heavenscloud likes this.