Forums Latest Members
  1. Fost Feb 9, 2017

Dear all
    I was helping a gentleman last year to take care of his 45 years old friend ad I was not really into watches. After discussion he decided to send the watch to Omega for service. Even if I always fear sending vintage watch directly to omega, in the case of 'big case' like this one I think it is the better place to have it restored especially for the polishing. Now the watch is back and he decided to sell it for other project. I tried to help him about the market price but I was a little bit confused about the it as there is not clear market view today on this rare piece...
    I would be grateful if you can give me a fair advice of the watch and if possible was is for you the realistic price of this watch. Thanks for your time!
    IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2922.JPG IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG
    VintageWatchIta likes this.
  2. lillatroll Feb 9, 2017

It would help to know exactly what was done when it was sent to Omega and if they sent back any swapped parts. As for value, these can be put up for sale between 6000 dollars and 10000 dollars depending on condition. The reason they are "rare" is because they were not very popular, they have a cult following which means they are difficult to sell especially for the money that is asked for. I think most collectors would choose to spend that kind of money on a long list of other watches so you need to be patient or offer it at a lower price. How much you could get for your watch depends on what has been done to it.

KP-99, Lonestar, Spacefruit and 2 others like this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 9, 2017

eBay is best for these.

What you have to do is show it is not an assembly using a NOS Watchco case. There was a deluge sold 2-5 years ago, and several 930 movements, both old and NOS. What was missing is the dials as there are no service dials. These cases came in both service, and -69 versions.

So some owners sent their watchco case and movement to omega, who made a dial. This must have cost a lot, and produced a watch that omega themselves couldn't produce an extract on. So far I have only seen one, so that means there are a lot of case and movements out there looking for a dial.

So when selling, you have to show it's not one of those, especially as this one has been to Omega.

By the way, I am one of those niche who love them.

kov, Fost and Lonestar like this.
  4. Fost Feb 9, 2017

Thanks for your help. I am quite sure that this watch is not a watcho assembly but if I have to explain to the gentleman how to prove that, what would you ask him exactely? He sent me some pictures before restauration but not sure it will help...
    Moreover, after a quick search on internet, he found some 'unrealistic" prices and seems to have a high expectation around 7000 euros for his watch so I sent him an e-mail with a summary of your comment above. I am not interested in buying this watch but as i follow the story since several month now i would be happy to see a nice ending for him...and maybe for the potential new owner...

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 9, 2017

He should order an extract from Omega. That $150 piece of paper could help it sell more quickly.

Fost likes this.
  6. incabloc Feb 9, 2017

7. lillatroll Feb 9, 2017

7000 euro is not unrealistic if it is 100%original, the important thing is that it is 100% original. There was one for sale here for 10000 usd but it was a franken. Myself and many others pmed the seller to point out that it was a franken and he should advertise it as such and adjust his price accordingly. He was unwilling to take on board the advice given. I doubt any serious collector on here would buy it at any price. I am also one of those who would love to own one of these, in fact it is my grail watch.

Fost likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Feb 9, 2017

Fost likes this.
  9. Fost Feb 9, 2017

Thanks everyone. But something is still not clear to me. For the extract, I understand it will help but how how to confirm that is not a watchco case? The case ref is -69? Assuming the watch has a2 years guarantee, if someone open the case that will be an issue isn't it?
    I will try so see the watch next week so if there is something to check feel gree to tell me!
    I am really excited to see if it is a watchco or not :)

Edit : just had the gentleman on the phone. I will see the watch on Saturday and try to help him. Last information I have :
    - bought new in 1972 in France close to Paris
    - paper lost several year ago
    - omega did a complete service, glass, seal, crown, hands and some small movement part were changed (not the dial) but he has 2 little bags with everything in it!

Edited Feb 9, 2017
  10. Fost Feb 9, 2017

11. Fost Feb 11, 2017

Some update today as I saw the watch in real... And WoWwww... First time for me to see a bullhead in real...incredible Watch... If course I took some pics
    IMG_2945.JPG IMG_2946.JPG IMG_2947.JPG IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2949.JPG IMG_2950.JPG IMG_2951.JPG
    First owner, The watch was bought in 1972 at the Comptoir de Saint Cloud in Paris. Full serviced by omega few month ago with the following pieces remaining!
    IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2954.JPG
    I quite surprised that omega replaced the minute hand with a wrong one...
    So now I advised him.to have the watch open and take a picture of the back to prove the case ref. I also might help him to sell the watch later (not sure as I don't really like doing this...)
    And finally : BooMmmM
    IMG_2955.JPG
    So big, so strange... But So cooooooool!!
    If you have any advice please feel free to comment!

IMG_2956.JPG IMG_2952.JPG
  12. cristos71 Feb 11, 2017

Awful and frankly quite disturbing that Omega would change out the minutes hand for that anorexic variant. My advice would be to have the original minutes hand relumed to match and reinstalled as quick as possible.

Zuke, Andy K, Buck2466 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Fost Feb 11, 2017

I really don't understand also... Moreover the original hands are very good with all the lume inside..

14. Buck2466 Feb 11, 2017

Completely agree. Changes the whole look. Scary that was the best Omega could come up with.

Zuke likes this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2017

Nice watch. It would look better with the original hands. Those new ones jump out.

I think Omega doesnt really care that much about "correct" on a 45 year old watch. They will do what they can and move on.

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. cristos71 Feb 11, 2017

Even better, just have them put back on :)

Zuke likes this.
  17. Fost Feb 11, 2017

This not mine :) I think the seller will let the hands like this but will provide the old hands to the new owner...

18. ConElPueblo Feb 11, 2017

Even if you're not going to have the hand(s) reinstalled, get them out of that packet and put some place where they won't get scratched from rubbing against all sorts of gears and cogs...

KingCrouchy and Foo2rama like this.
  19. Fost Feb 11, 2017

That was my first advice to the owner ;)

20. flqt-9000 Jan 11, 2019

Hello everybody.
    I answer to this old thread because it is not clear to me how to recognize a watch.co case.
    Anyone knows?