Forums Latest Members

Omega Brick Bracelet for Constellation Authenticity Help

1. zesty_calco Nov 11, 2019

I usually hang out on the watch sections of Reddit but now that I actually own an Omega I may have to lurk around these parts. Picked up a C shape case Constellation (Ref 168.017) from the closer0924 ebay shop a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm really liking it. The watch is classy and understated. I know I'm in the shallow end of the pool when it comes to a watch collection but I think this is the fanciest in my wardrobe. After servicing and a bracelet it will definitely be the most expensive. The Omega forums were actually really helpful in making my decision. Getting started with stuff like this you really don't know what you don't know.

Naturally I wanted to pickup an OEM brick bracelet and bought one (maybe foolishly) from another seller on ebay. Can anyone help me figure out whether this bracelet I picked up is authentic? The end links and bracelet clasp are stamped with the correct model numbers for this reference. I will say the clasp itself feels a little cheap (in comparison to some Seiko ones I have) but I've never held another one. It does look very clean for something of its age. I suppose it's possible it was refinished at some point. I've seen a few different variations in the text that is stamped on the clasp online. The seller does have a 30 day return policy and nearly 4K sales with 100% positive feedback but I couldn't find any other information on them. Thanks!

EvPBce0 - Imgur.jpg hd9rDxM - Imgur.jpg lJDgrB8.jpg PcKIJzu - Imgur.jpg qvSysHi.jpg
    Passover likes this.
  2. connieseamaster Nov 11, 2019

No comments on this bracelet specifically, but vintage bracelets will always feel looser between the links and lighter than their modern counterparts.

zesty_calco likes this.
  3. Passover Nov 11, 2019

Hi and congrats to your C shape (don't forget to post some pictures) :)

Having compared yours with other ones I don't see anything that worries me.

Outer clasp / whole bracelet is maybe a bit polished but that wouldn't worry me too much

How much did you pay?

zesty_calco likes this.
  4. zesty_calco Nov 11, 2019

The links on this bracelet actually feel pretty solid. There's a decent heft to them and they don't really feel loose to me. Compared to many modern, affordable, oyster style bracelets it does feel lighter. I'd say it's comparable in weight to a jubilee style bracelet for a Seiko SKX. These OEM bracelets on SKXs are nothing special but won't fall apart on you. The clasp on this Omega bracelet feels like thin stamped metal. Maybe a little lower in quality than your average bracelet in my experience. Thanks for your reply!

Edited Nov 11, 2019
  5. zesty_calco Nov 11, 2019

I'll definitely post some photos once I get it on a bracelet or a nicer strap than the generic one it came with. The linen dial and case are in nice shape. I suspect the whole bracelet has been polished as well. It only has light desk diving-ish scratches on it. Paid $200 USD for it. That seems to be about the going rate for these on ebay though there aren't that many available. Feeling like they're scarce is what made me pull the trigger so quickly; though I didn't poke around on any of the buy/sell forums here. I will say that I think this bracelet has all the links in it. In all the ones I've seen I've never seen one that will accommodate larger than a 7.5" wrist. That happens to be my wrist size. I think 7.5" is average to slightly above average. Were wrists just smaller back then? :D

Edited Nov 11, 2019
  6. zesty_calco Nov 11, 2019

This one has the same stamping configuration as mine but I notice slight variations in text alignment and font. This text configuration seems less common than some of the others I've seen.

s-l1600.jpg
  7. zesty_calco Nov 11, 2019

Oh wow... I should have joined this forum from the start! It looks like that 1040 is stamped all over the place. And maybe these aren't as uncommon as I thought!

IMG_2247.jpg