Forums Latest Members
  1. destroid Dec 29, 2016

As mentioned here by @Archer the Natick MA OB is closing at the end of 2016
    https://omegaforums.net/posts/609142/

I was in for a bracelet sizing and the saleswoman confirmed the rumor when I asked.
    I can see why since it is a suburban mall vs. clueless tourists shopping at full price in Boston.

The staff there were always great and all the accessories I bought were surprisingly well priced. It's just that I prefer nice pre owned Omega or AD discounted watch prices.

Dero13 likes this.
  2. RegF Dec 29, 2016

Interesting.

The one in Sydney, just moved to new, larger premises. I've been in there 3 times over the last couple of months and its been deserted every time, despite being in the heart of watch territory in the CBD.

Their RRP pricing ( which is crazy expensive) and refusal to haggle could well be why.

Another sympton of the downturn in luxury goods sales?

destroid and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. TLIGuy Dec 29, 2016

Just the beginning. The number I have heard is that Omega will close 40% of their boutiques worldwide.

destroid, RegF and Riviera Paradise like this.
  4. Riviera Paradise Dec 29, 2016

Here in Rio/Brazil, Omega have two boutiques in the top two luxury shopping malls...I can certainly see one of those two being shut down, there was never any real justification for two OBs. I am pretty sure my "local" OB in the Leblon/Ipanema region will stay open...they were doing good OK business before and during the Olympics...now they have implemented a price hike and have scared away their local customers + tourists don't see any advantage buying in Rio anymore due to the recent currency appreciation of the Brazilian Real versus the US$.

destroid likes this.
  5. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Dec 29, 2016

That's too bad. We have one in St. Louis. There are hardly ever any customers in the store. I fear it could be included in that lot. It would be a shame to lose it.

CTS-V likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2016

Am I sad that Omega is closing boutiques? Let's see if you can guess whether I am or not by the answer to this question: Are these the same boutiques that don't give discounts on their watches?

Actually, that's rhetorical because we all know that the boutiques stay at, or very close to, list price. Maybe this means Omega will go back to having more ADs, which means better discounts.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 29, 2016

What makes you think the OB's exist to sell watches? The are marketing partially under written by the few watches they sell. I would bet solid money the OB's are funded through the marketing budget.

8. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2016

Where does the money for the marketing budget come from?

(watch sales)

RegF, Nobel Prize and Severin like this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 29, 2016

<loop>
    How are watches sold?

(Marketing)

</loop>

10. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2016

But in this case, the chicken (a sale) has to happen before the egg (everything else).

This brings up a pertinent anecdote from my decades in retail. One time, at band camp....... oh, wait....... wrong story. :oops: ::facepalm2::

Anyway, since I started in my industry as a delivery driver, I used to help the warehouse and delivery staff bring in and set up new product. I shot the breeze with them, and would listen to their gripes. Most complaints were about the salespeople. While I empathize with the drivers much more than any of the sales staff could possibly understand since I wore that hat for a couple years, I had to tell these guys that if it weren't for salespeople none of them would have jobs. No sales = no deliveries. And actually, no sales = no ANYTHING. No more warehouse, no more store, no benefits, no paycheck..... zero, zip, zilch.

In retail, nothing happens until something is sold. ;)

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 29, 2016

Boutique,s do discounts. Ring them the day before the end of the financial year and have a chat. ;)

( or go in , Closest one to me is over 3000km away. )

Edited Dec 29, 2016
  12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 30, 2016

Seems like their distribution / price strategy is as erratic as their product strategy... :whistling:

Pretending to be Rolex is not the same as being Rolex ...;)

Blacksmith and Riviera Paradise like this.
  13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, I hear the coffee there was really good...

::stirthepot::

Riviera Paradise and kkt like this.
  14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 30, 2016

They are funded by people who buy new Omegas ... ;)

... which seem to be fewer than in the past

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 30, 2016

There are now 4 Omega Boutiques within a hour's drive from me.

Either you sell on volume or on exclusivity. At the prices being asked, one would think it should be exclusivity. However, the distribution channels would indicate volume.

Something has to give.
    gatorcpa

lando, Jwit, Riviera Paradise and 3 others like this.
  16. destroid Dec 30, 2016

It did feel like the OB was primarily marketing.

I'll miss the ability to try on any of the current offerings - and their Basal release events.

But any price conscious buyer can see the discounts available online and at an AD.

Jwit, cvera, Jhh834 and 2 others like this.
  17. RegF Dec 30, 2016

Putting prices up and sticking to them, as the local OB does isn't a great way to combat online discounts from grey marketers.

And where do these grey online sellers source their stock?

From unsold dealer inventory of course!

The sooner that the manufacturers get out of retail, get some sustainable levels of production going at some realistic price points, the better for everybody involved

Unfortunately, I think that's going to mean some tough times ahead for all involved, as we've seen with the recent lay-offs and downturn in sales.

The Aussie dollar has been pretty much the same over the last couple of years against the swiss franc. But Omega's prices at their boutique have risen more than 20% on on models that I've been following over that time.

All this while the grey price has gone down considerably.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 30, 2016

It may just be my rugged good looks combined with a winning smile but on my last visit to an OB I was actually offered a discount before we had reached the purchase phase, no figure mentioned but the door was open.
    Wish I had been buying as the assistant was a really lovely lass :)

destroid and Riviera Paradise like this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that.
    21302.jpg

20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 30, 2016

And avoid mirrors ;)
    My tag is obviously giving out the wrong location signal ::psy::

Edited Dec 30, 2016
    Riviera Paradise likes this.