Forums Latest Members

Omega boutique Apollo 17 purchase

1. Omegafanman May 20, 2019

@Archer thanks for the clarification. I think I have an example here (see link). I got this watch from the original owner. They told me they had a disproportionate amount of issues after the warranty expired / around 1985, plus they had a cheap amateur service which only made it worse - so they stopped wearing it / it sat in a drawer for 30 years (lucky me). I got it fully serviced/repaired and it runs great / I love it. I finally got an extract and it shows the watch was invoiced in 1975 (so made some while before then?) but not sold until 1982. I imagine it needed a service much sooner hence the problems, but the guy did not realise his was wearing a 10 year old watch.....

https://omegaforums.net/threads/tissot-extract-from-the-archives-service-my-experience.94388/

2. omegabruh May 20, 2019

@Omegafanman

All good points. You are right, we do forget the convenience of having a camera handy and I did use it to take pictures of it on my wrist and text to my wife. What I didn’t do was take picture of the caseback and honestly, at that time, didn’t seem like a big deal. I started thinking about it over the weekend and thus, this post. I will try to go there after work and post later.

I will ask about your questions. It is a legitimate Omega boutique store, owned by Omega. If it is truly an error, I would ask for a new caseback but also keep the faulty one.

Thanks,

T

Omegafanman likes this.
  3. Lurk41 May 20, 2019

Not sure they accept for you to keep the faulty part, as all part changed under warranty are property of Omega. But there is no harm trying it

4. Evitzee May 20, 2019

As long as the SN on the lug matches the warranty card I would be comfortable that the watch is completely legit. But I would make sure that the original warranty card is present and correct, no exceptions. I would be ok with the watch IF there was a price consideration for the missing data on the back. A letter is good but the watch still doesn't have the normal engraving so I would want some reduction in price for that. The watch will come with a five year warranty so the new owner will have some protection there, maybe he can negotiate to get his first service free after the 5 year warranty runs out.

Stuff gets damaged all the time, it is possible someone tried to open the back (for whatever reason) and buggered it up, or the back was somehow damaged. Cars get jacked up all the time in transit and have to be fixed, there was a lawsuit some years ago against BMW for not disclosing when cars were repainted or repaired before the customer took possession.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2019

I highly doubt a factory owned OB would release a watch then write a letter attesting to it being real as it is not carrying correct markings.

Write a letter to Omega Customer service and you will hear a sound. It’s the sound of someone getting fired.

6. tyrantlizardrex May 20, 2019

The watches that you see in the wild (at Omega events/with press) that have NOT FOR SALE on them, are sample carnet (temporary export) pieces of production watches, rather than prototypes. :thumbsup:

Longbow and Foo2rama like this.
  7. drhex May 20, 2019

Had the back of my Apollo-Soyuz replaced due to the dreaded enamel loss, result looks exactly the same in&out. Omega keeps spares for a while, so they will happily replace the back on an issue like this. No way are you going to keep both backs though. Would still like to know why the boutique doesn’t send it back - you are sure it is an OB not an AD with a Omega branded inset in the store? ADs have to buy stock to my knowledge, not sure how long their warranty lasts while OB stock is Omega, they have no reason not to send it back for repair.

Omegafanman likes this.
  8. omegabruh May 20, 2019

Interesting. I asked the OB manager and they would definitely send the wat
    @Evitzee thank you, you have been great help and have provided great advice.

I spoke to them over the phone but didn’t get a chance to get personally. They agreed to give an 8% discount. They agreed to also add an alligator strap. They also agreed to cover the first service (right away before it is delivered) to me and also an extra year of warranty, so total of 6 year omega manufacturer warranty.

The more I’m thinking about it, it’s an Omega boutique store, owner by Omega. I’ll have the watch serial number matching the warranty card. Letter and receipt supporting where it was bought from and kind of a unique watch. I like the fact that the letter makes it a unique watch and a possible factory error. But again not an expert so don’t know :(

9. omegabruh May 20, 2019

I am absolutely positive. I can definitely tell the difference between an AD and an OB. I am 1000% sure watch is legit and this is an OB.

10. superfly May 20, 2019

That sounds like a great deal from an OB. If you hesitate with that deal and have zero concerns of authenticity, I think it means you're not really sure you like the watch.

But still the question remains, why on Earth won't they give you the proper case back with the LE numbers engraved on it? Have you asked them that specific question? Is there a language barrier of some kind with these people at the OB? Why wasn't that part of the deal? Or was it implied - or mentioned specifically - that you'd get the correct case back with the first service?

11. boraxman May 20, 2019

I wouldn't do it...Too much coin for an issue like that and every time you look at it the lack of the proper caseback will come to mind.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2019

I highly doubt this will be worth more with a caseback partially missing data.

These will most likely never be very loved and this will carry a ? On it.

Fusion likes this.
  13. omegabruh May 20, 2019

They have agreed to acquire one from another OB if I absolutely want one with a “numbered” caseback. It would take 2 weeks to get it. Another 2 weeks for the free service. I’m not sure I want to wait that long. My question really was will the number not be there be an issue later with resell if I need to liquidate.

14. Evitzee May 20, 2019

I don't think value will be impacted either way, only the most anal retentive dweeb is going to care down the road if the number is there or not.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2019

Bullshit... If someone wants this piece on the secondary market, the missing LE number will flag the piece. A note from an OB that states its an error piece raises massive questions. Sorry that is not how people buy LE's.

gostang9, lando, ac106 and 11 others like this.
  16. Dan S May 20, 2019

Sorry, but if I had the choice of buying a used LE watch that was properly numbered, vs. an unnumbered watch with an old letter on Omega letterhead, I know which one I would buy. One is a collectible piece, the other is a question mark.

Unfortunately, I think the OP just started the thread hoping he would get the advice that he wanted to hear, which was to buy the unnumbered watch. It's his money, and he should just do what he wants to do. Good advice is being wasted.

ac106, bazderome, MTROIS and 2 others like this.
  17. Evitzee May 20, 2019

Not everyone who would buy this watch in 5 or 10 years is going to be a watch nerd like those on here. Let's just agree to disagree on this.

18. boraxman May 20, 2019

I would definitely go this route...Its only a month...

Lurk41 likes this.
  19. omegabruh May 20, 2019

Wow! Thanks for your advice and having your preconceived notions about my intentions. If you don’t want to advice and/or have feelings about my intentions, just don’t respond.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2019

Anyone that searches out this model... Yes, yes, they would.

ac106 likes this.