Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 3, 2014

Respectable Members

From this picture, is there any chance any respectable member can advise what material is this vintage Omega band, made of?

Thank you.

rst.JPG
  2. kox Mar 3, 2014

Best guess....Corfam.
    Show the backside / the full strap and I could perhaps say more.

3. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 3, 2014

Respectable Member kox

I appreciate your advice.

Please do not waste your time, since it is a corfam, no one will be interested in it. Little wonder, it is only $20.00.

Thank you.

4. kox Mar 4, 2014

Well, if its a genuine Omega Corfam in mens size, it worth more than 20$ ... And there will be interest in it:)
    /Best

5. rolexfantastic Mar 4, 2014

That's a shark skin strap...

6. kox Mar 4, 2014

well, lets see the back and judge. Also my first thought, but something about the structure seems off, but could be wrong ;-)

7. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 4, 2014

Respectable Members kox and rolexfantastic

I appreciate your comments and I shall try to contact this casual-dealer, for a picture of the back of the band.

Thank you.

8. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 4, 2014

Respectable Members rolexfantastic and kox

Here are more pictures of the back of the Omega band. Hopefully, this helps.

Thank you.

1.jpg 2.JPG 3.jpg
  9. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 7, 2014

Respectable Members kox and rolexfantastic

If this band is either a corfam or a shark skin, kindly let me know how to distinguish them.

Thank you.

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 7, 2014

Corfam was a DuPont trademark from the early seventies and had to be marked as such....

Until they sold it to the East Germans because nobody really wanted it.

No Kidding, in the east they made shoes out of it. Nasty! Proof that even DuPont gets it wrong sometimes.

Anyway, enough plastics history, looks like shark to me.

11. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 8, 2014

Respectable Member Fritz

I appreciate the information regarding what a corfam is.

I must have missed an opportunity to buy an Omega shark skin band, at such a low price of only $20.00.

Thank you.

12. rolexfantastic Mar 9, 2014

Strictly to the strap, although it does not say shark to the back, looking at the grain, it's not a print. I do believe is genuine shark although the back is pigskin i believe. Both last long and they are a very good choice together.
    If the strap is vintage, i would NOT hurry to say you missed it, because it may have been extremely dried and it may pop after the first day of use.

When buying a vintage / NOS leather strap, you may want to apply first a moisturizing cream with neutral pH to soften it. Especially on a Corfam or on such a shark skin strap.

/F

13. kox Mar 9, 2014

Does it by any chance say "Waterproof" on the back also?
    To make matter worse I think it's a variant of the rare 24mm "corfam" for the Ploprof. It does look like shark, but is mentioned as corfam in this article: http://forum.atgvintagewatches.com/...ting-options-for-the-SMP600-quot-Ploprof-quot

"Yours" is not the Ploprof one, but looks like the just as rare 22mm one, as found on this SM120:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-300M-/151234892371?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=MUmFgiMdu63dUOz7CtE9errSpRo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Same type of material anyhow. Was it 22mm?

14. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 9, 2014

Respectable Member rolexfantastic

It would not be much of a regret for me, not to buy it though it is a shark skin. I do not have any vintage Omega watch, at the moment. It will be a waste just to keep it for later use, since you said some of the older ones may be brittle.

Thank you.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 9, 2014

Respectable Member kox

As far as I can remember, the casual dealer told me, it is 20mm. Whatever the size is, it is of no use to me, since at the moment I do not own a vintage Omega watch.

I did not see the word 'waterproof' on the underside of the band. I tried contacting the casual dealer and he said he could not remember but from memory he said there is. He confirmed, he has sold it.

Thank you.