Forums Latest Members

Omega AT 8800 potential crown issue?

1. Borowatch87 Mar 6, 2019

Hi, Just on the hunt for a bit of advice.
    I purchased the above watch from an AD yesterday, I have noticed when un-screwing the crown it doesn't pop out or disengage in the same way I have noticed with other watches. When in the apparent neutral position it is impossible to manually wind, the resistance to wind it clockwise is significant (could this be as the watch is fully charged?)
    Date and time setting function is fine I just expected the pop and to be able to freely manual wind despite what charge it may have built up.
    If this is normal for contemporary Aqua Terra's I could live with it, but being my first one it seemed a little odd.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 6, 2019

It could just be because the seals are a bit new. I would try it for a while and if it doesn't loosen up and you find it troublesome, take it back. It also may just need a little grease on the case tube...

3. Borowatch87 Mar 7, 2019

Cheers matey, I'll let it go through usual breaking in process and see how it is, maybe I'm being too picky just not what I expected going off other watches.

4. louis5k Jun 10, 2019

I just bought one today and am having the same issue. Any updates to this? The crown does not pop out like almost every other watch I've owned. Almost difficult to screw back in as well.

5. Borowatch87 Jun 11, 2019

I returned mine to AD and they agreed it was a default so gave me a new watch and a £150 off what I originally paid. I can confirm the new watch is as it should be in terms of the crown popping out and screwing/threading correctly.
    Hope you get it sorted, rather annoying!

6. louis5k Jun 11, 2019

I think mine actually is working OK. I have played with it some more. It still does not have as pronounced of a pop out as some others I own but it does disengage to the winding position. Winding does have a decent amount of tension though. What are your thoughts?

7. louis5k Jun 11, 2019

Hi Al, I have long since read your posts but never have replied to you. How durable are omega screw in crowns? Particularly on the 8800 AT. Are they made to be screwed in out on a weekly basis? I rotate watches often.

8. chc05 Jun 11, 2019

Same here. Mine is more pip than pop. Took me a while to appreciate it; had to recalibrate my senses a bit. Now the feel and sound of it seem a lot easier to discern.

9. louis5k Jun 11, 2019

How often do you unscrew your crown? Does your winding system seem to have a decent amount of tension?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 11, 2019

In my experience, Omega crowns and case tubes are as robust as any other brand. They are not particularly prone to cross threading, but of course you have to use care when screwing the crown down.

11. louis5k Jun 11, 2019

Thanks. Just worried this AT has a wacky crown. But I think the more I use it, it may be how it's designed. It just doesn't have that springy pop out feel I'm used to. Time setting/date setting is normal.

12. chc05 Jun 11, 2019

Tension is good, solid. The feedback from winding the watch is almost nonexistent. Prefer a more engaged sensation, by feel or sound. Part of getting familiar with the watch, I suppose. I open and close the crown often because my watch runs fast, 10-15 seconds per day.

13. Borowatch87 Jun 11, 2019

I would go back to AD and compare to other AT they have in stock, the difference in the watch they replaced mine with was very noticeable, so it turned out not to be in my head and there was an issue

14. louis5k Jun 11, 2019

but does it have a springy feel to it or does it just kind of click out? I don't have any issue manually winding

15. Borowatch87 Jun 11, 2019

It is quite subtle compared to other watches but there is more give and noticeable spring in my replacement.

16. louis5k Jun 11, 2019

i'
    Thanks. I will take your advice and head to AD when time frees up and "play" with other AT crowns to compare. However; I am starting to feel like this is normal for this design.I am very nervous with my crowns across all of my watches. I actually do not keep watches around I do not have full trust in!