Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. Evitzee Aug 29, 2019

There are always ways to secure a firm sale ahead of delivery, they hide behind the illegality excuse so THEY, not YOU, determine who gets the product. It's the old fashioned retail mentality still prevalent in parts of the world. Many people on these no commitment lists will not get a watch as other, more well connected or perceived important people, jump the queue. Some at the margin will lose out.

I prefer "first come, first paid, first served", aka "Money talks, bullsh** walks".

Pepe Lucas likes this.
  2. A J Aug 29, 2019

OB.

3. Mr Gadget Aug 29, 2019

They should not have done that. Thanks for clarifying.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 29, 2019

Like a good old camp out 3 days before the sale
    91D578CF-C837-4053-B0C3-3CE7E6C9D6E9.jpeg

5. Evitzee Aug 29, 2019

Exactly.....it makes the eventual item/service that much more special! Nothing like spending a few days in a tent to get what you want.

STANDY likes this.
  6. Sethmns Aug 29, 2019

Recently received mine and could not be happier. Apollo 11 45th is still my favorite in the collection though

7FF37E76-BA9B-44AB-A305-1CF77C2C6BD1.jpeg

clockyg, MTROIS, rob_s_Z06 and 14 others like this.
  7. Evitzee Aug 29, 2019

For all the Sturm und Drang around this watch; edition size, gold, price, movement, ceramic, sapphire, Buzz, etc, Omega produced a very elegant and appropriate tribute for the golden anniversary of this world event. It's a home run that will wear well into the future. Omega done good.

Edited Aug 29, 2019
  8. Kingkongsfinger Aug 29, 2019

Unsure, but I did pay a 20% deposit and it’s all documented in Omega letter headed paper with an invoice number etc.

9. stevec14 Aug 29, 2019

I paid a 10% deposit with a well known U.K. chain to secure their first one. I didn’t quibble and they certainly didn’t act like it was unusual.

I have no problem with it. I know them well and we do ok by each other. If for whatever reason they don’t get a watch (which won’t happen), c’est la vie....

Kingkongsfinger and jpjsavage like this.
  10. petay993 Aug 29, 2019

Amazing pic!!

Sethmns and jpjsavage like this.
  11. petay993 Aug 29, 2019

I paid 10% in advance for my CHNR and DSSD Cameron, should have been 20% but they reduced it as I had previous spend, I was happy to do so because I knew that meant I was on a physical list and would get the watches, which I did a couple of months later.

Like AJ I paid a 20% deposit to guarantee a 50th and was very happy to oblige as it removed any worries about allocation.

This really is part and parcel of securing important and/or hard to get pieces.

YY77, A J and stevec14 like this.
  12. jpjsavage Aug 29, 2019

Definitely not the case here. I've had four 'hard to get' watches from my Rolex/Omega AD here in the last two years and no deposit was paid for any of them.

13. stevec14 Aug 29, 2019

Yes, but with all due respect you have just shelled out over £30k for 2 omegas. That sort of spending makes the harder watches easier and you in effect a VIP.

That’s not a dig, just stating a fact.....

jpjsavage likes this.
  14. jpjsavage Aug 29, 2019

Fair enough, and I've always believed in the importance of having a solid, trustworthy relationship with a local AD. However, these Omega purchases were preceded by other purchases that didn't require any deposits either. I don't want to go over old ground, but wasn't there something written here about deposits meaning that you had legal rights to purchase (which is good news for us buyers) but is probably the reason why most shops would not want to enter into that 'contract' with you if they knew supply was limited.

15. stevec14 Aug 29, 2019

Yep, I read it too. Personally, I think it’s bollocks but I obviously stand corrected if not.

Once again, it was by no means a dig (please trust me on that). My point was really that those of us without the spending history have to do these things sometimes to secure what we want. If what I did helps to secure the watch I want then great. If not, I’m big enough and ugly enough not to bleat about it - of course I understand not every one will have my attitude however.

It has become the norm now with the hoo hah surrounding luxury goods.

jpjsavage and YY77 like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 29, 2019

It was more about it not being allowed to take deposit before the watch was released in the UK. ( Unlike it was heavily deposited in the US even before the announcement )

But once the watch was released it was OK to take a deposit in the UK as it happens with many goods that are ordered but not in stock.

Kingkongsfinger likes this.
  17. Kingkongsfinger Aug 30, 2019

That photo is the dogs.....

Sethmns likes this.
  18. Stufflers Mom Aug 30, 2019

It's true that it's a good photo, but the watch does not appear like this in real life, below a is more realistic representation of the colour scheme, but it must be said that it's real beauty is only really displayed when you move your wrist and the light catches the dial and markers.

P1200165.JPG

clockyg likes this.
  19. jpjsavage Aug 30, 2019

Regardless of whether it is the 'right' way for a Boutique or AD to behave, I'm delighted that you were able to secure what is a fantastic watch! Enjoy it in good health!

20. Junta Aug 30, 2019

I read your post and only quoted the part I was responding to. I hope you get it.