Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. Capt Cave Man Jan 28, 2020

Congrats @FinWatch, that was exactly my thoughts on seeing mine. Enjoy wearing it in good health... was there any joy on a gold?

FinWatch likes this.
  2. Alex87 Jan 28, 2020

I didn't get the cap :(

3. Evitzee Jan 28, 2020

Neither did I, but I got the Speedmaster space pen .....

IMG_9493.JPG IMG_9494.JPG
    jzra, hansmaulwurf and FinWatch like this.
  4. stevec14 Jan 28, 2020

Awesome - congratulations. Mine has not been off my wrist in a month and I have some nice ones to replace with. I really think it’s that good. It’s a very classy and well done piece.

hope you enjoy it.

EricCsN and FinWatch like this.
  5. stevec14 Jan 28, 2020

I got bugger all....

6. FinWatch Jan 28, 2020

That
    Well said! Iconic image and not that big as one might imagine from all the pictures! The moment captured—it truly belongs to this watch!!!

7. FinWatch Jan 28, 2020

I didn’t succeed in seeing the full gold version live—steel stole my heart! Well.. steel&gold. I love the way the moonshine gold reflects in a very different way all the time..

8. FinWatch Jan 28, 2020

It is a beauty and so comfortable!! Timeless piece! Congrats to you too!!!

9. EricCsN Jan 29, 2020

i got zlitch as well. nothing. zlitch. Big fat zero

10. abrod520 Jan 29, 2020

Me too, and have done for the last 3 watches I've bought from the OB closest to me. It's a tiny one in a crappy mall; I enter through the Sears and literally must walk past a Hot Topic to get to the OB. Can't wait til a real one opens in San Francisco

EricCsN likes this.
  11. GadgetGuy88 Jan 29, 2020

Me, too...but not the day I got the watch (October). It was given to me at the end of the year...

12. jor1968 Jan 29, 2020

Wow! That’s a nice looking watch. Congrats!

13. Omega-Q Jan 29, 2020

I put it on my watch, and actually enjoy it. Like any other strap, it had to be broken in. Mine does not have that funny shape anymore. I haven't had any trouble, or risk with it falling out either.

IMG_2466.jpg IMG_2465.jpg
    Pun, EricCsN, hansmaulwurf and 3 others like this.
  14. stevec14 Jan 29, 2020

I agree - but it’s the look on the thinner side I don’t like quite as much (when I see it in a reflection)

I will say it’s pretty comfy however

15. GadgetGuy88 Jan 31, 2020

I’m too scared to scratch the lugs. If I switch straps, I’ll go to Omega.

Pepe Lucas likes this.
  16. Pepe Lucas Jan 31, 2020

I actually scratched the back of the bracelet when I was trying to change it. Oh well, at least you can’t really see it!!

17. Evitzee Jan 31, 2020

The only two Speedmasters I have on bracelets are the Apollo 11 and the Trilogy 1957, both of them look right on their stock bracelets so I don't anticipate changing them out. I haven't seen many compelling straps that improve the looks or functionality of these two watches (except the grey alcantara strap a couple of pages back). But everyone needs to do their own thing.

Alex87 likes this.
  18. Newatch321 Feb 2, 2020

This watch is perfection once you try it on. Can be happier with the watch. Long wait, but worth every second.

19. stevec14 Feb 2, 2020

Just a couple of pics. Picked up the speedy Tuesday strap on Friday. Really like it. I think this piece is best on bracelet for sure, but I wear this in the office so figured I’d have another option to avoid scratching the hell out of the clasp!

it’s extremely comfortable.

FED8F2C8-2A8C-479D-A651-9C5CABB42072.jpeg 76382FAC-7631-465C-9623-F5589ABB6BB7.jpeg 4EEB2C3D-B435-4802-ABA4-3F1D8DF79D1C.jpeg 7A05BDD1-70C9-416F-A9B2-D8E440F4CA3C.jpeg

20. csf Feb 2, 2020

Greetings,

This is my first post on these Omega Forums. I have just received my Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Speedmaster in stainless steel.

I have many fine things but am not a watch collector of any type. In fact, every day I usually wear a $100 Casio. Before this Omega the only other “nice" watch I have owned is a $2000 Tag Heuer Aquaracer I once got for my birthday from my wife.

I am, however, a bit of a space geek. I have a large collection of original NASA space memorabilia. My father, who is 91, was a pilot in the US Air Force, and then worked as an engineer for NASA for 34 years, where he worked on the Apollo and Space Shuttle programs. So the 50th anniversary of the moon landing was a big thing in our family.

Last year I saw a really nice article on the Omega Apollo 11 Anniversary watch and decided I should get one. So in June I went to our local Omega dealer ( near Washington DC ) to buy it. Of course the staff, while almost laughing at me, explained to me the watch had been sold out for months and none were available. I was pretty disappointed, but moved on.

This past November my wife and I traveled to Tel Aviv. While sightseeing we stopped in a very nice shopping mall, and I noticed an Omega dealer. With no expectations I went in to ask about the Apollo 11 anniversary watch. The manager told me their entire allocation had been 20 watches and of course they had been sold out for months . . . but then told me she thought she heard one of their customers originally bought two watches but then cancelled one. So it was possible they had one unclaimed watch available. She then made several phone calls, all in Hebrew which I did not understand, and then told me yes, they still had that one last watch available. I could have it and they would ship it to me in the US when they received it from Omega. But I would have to pay for it in full right then . . . . and her price in US currency was just under $12,000. That seemed a bit high but she would not go lower.

I was very hesitant. But we called our credit card company and they said they would refund us if we never received the watch. The manager, of course, said I would absolutely get it. That was 9 weeks ago. The watch arrived yesterday at my home in Maryland, beautifully packed and in perfect condition. The store manager kept us posted every two weeks by text, and it shipped to me from Israel by FedEx the same day they received it from Omega. The watch number is 2456. I now feel very fortunate to have walked into that Omega dealer half way around the world from my home.

So now I am learning more and more about Omega watches. Honestly, I did not even know watches you have to manually wind were still manufactured. My father has an old Omega from his days at NASA . . . I may even try to get that restored and operational. But right now I am just extremely pleased with my new watch and all its Apollo 11 features. . . . especially Buzz Aldrin’s image. My trusty Casio is now in the drawer.

Sorry this post was so very long . . . I am just so proud to own this beautiful and special Omega.

Craig

apollo.jpg

Neyra, SCtoDC, Morrisdog and 23 others like this.