Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Antique 1934 Men's Wristwatch Dial with Globe

1. craigoaus Dec 23, 2014

G'day all. I was given this watch a birthday present from my brother.
    I found he bought it on eBay listing number 351198442889.
    I am hoping someone can give me some advice on it.
    At the moment I am thinking the movement is a genuine Omega, not sure of the rest of it under high magnification looks like a print.

I'd really appreciate any opinions.Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year.

968.jpg 969.jpg omega1.jpg omega2.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2014

Indeed a genuine Omega, although it was originally a pocket watch converted to a wrist watch and never left the Omega factory looking like that.

These are common watches on eBay and usually originate from the Ukraine (although there are other sources).

Condescendingly referred to as "marriage" watches by the sellers, and frankens by purist collectors.

Take an old pocket watch movement, put lugs on the case, re-paint the dial and there you have it.

Usually regarded with contempt by vintage collectors, they may satisfy somebody who likes the look and isn't fussed about legitimacy, provenance, originality etc.

All that matters is that it was a gift from your brother, so wear it and enjoy it for what it is.

Cheers

Jim

craigoaus and UncleBuck like this.
  3. snick777 Dec 24, 2014

Cool

4. craigoaus Dec 24, 2014

Thanks for all the information.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 24, 2014

From a practical point of view, the only thing I would add is not to rely on the "World Time" feature. I don't think geography was one of the dial painters strong points.

John R Smith likes this.
  6. scook94 Dec 24, 2014

Certainly from the Ukraine according to the listing.

Had to ::facepalm1:: when I read in the listing - "The Omega watch was the first watch to be worn on the moon. Neil Armstrong made that the case in 1969, and later by all Apollo crews."