Forums Latest Members

Omega: A Journey Through Time copies available and a nice visit to the STL Boutique.

1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 11, 2017

Popped by the St Louis Boutique today and had a nice visit with Managers Donna and Maria.
    Walked out with a nice red bag of good reading and an invite to a special event with Astronaut Thos. Stafford.

They also mentioned that they had some copies of AJTT for sale for US$400.

I know that periodically people ask where to get a copy so I wanted to pass this on.

DesignerV, Jwit, Alpha and 4 others like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 11, 2017

Wow, Donny and Marie! I always wondered what they were doing now :confused:

3. mikechi22 Nov 11, 2017

I think you’ve caused their website to crash...

dall-houston likes this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 12, 2017

No thanks, after more than 10 years an update for this book, not without its faults, is more than overdue...
    I'll wait for the next edition... :whistling:

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 12, 2017

I agree 100% but I will keep and use both editions:
    1. I wouldn't want to be without it, waiting and waiting for the new one.
    2. The new one will encompass more years and models and my guess is that they won't make it bigger and that some detail, especially among the oldies, may be omitted in the new edition. I'd love to see them break it up into 2-3 volumes and add depth. not diminish.
    3. Errors, inaccuracies and opinions are inevitable, even in a new one. The old one has been "edited" somewhat.
    4. My wife hates the space and accessories my "big black book" takes up in my room and I would never miss a chance to aggravate her so!

IMGP4306.jpg-1.jpg

6. jakeh417 Nov 13, 2017

Sorry haven’t been following but are there mentions of a new edition from Omega?

Regarding edits for errors any chance there is list somewhere tracking the corrections?

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2017

So let it be written, so let it be done.....

IDXM likes this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Nov 13, 2017

There's been a lot of wishful thinking from the collector community... I don't think there have been any "official" words from Omega to indicate a new edition... would be happy to be proved wrong though. :thumbsup:

cicindela and UncleBuck like this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 14, 2017

Hey, one of our brothers took advantage of this!
    I want good swag on my astronaut visit so ya'll buy a ton from this OB! Mention my name!
    Anybody wants Stafford's signature, send me your Speedy and a nice pen and I'll get it back to you, I swear!

Tritium, gemini4 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  10. heavenscloud Nov 14, 2017

Just ordered my copy from the King of Prussia boutique. Long overdue!

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 14, 2017

Jimbo,

I LOVE that machine that your AJTT is resting on. What is it, a special book holder? Did you nick it from a museum or a library?

I love your bench as well, looks to be a well made early 20th century, more pics please?

And what about that draftsman's stool, where did you snag that?

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 15, 2017

FYI I have made a list of corrections for some Omega-related books (2007 Journey through time... 2017 MoonwatchOnly) and contacted the authors... but don't get me started ::yawn::

13. tyrantlizardrex Nov 15, 2017

I'm sure Marco Richon is going to reply any day now... oh hang on. :cautious:

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2017

I too was wondering how one contacts the deceased author of an out of print book asking him to correct it. :\

dall-houston and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Nov 15, 2017

I mean, there are options... they're just known to be unreliable...

rsz_ch861218_6415.jpg

citizenrich and sxl2004 like this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 15, 2017

Hi Jim! That's an antique Bible stand my Daughter gave me for Christmas, evidently was common to hold the family Bible. This one is cast "Geo J Flanagan, Chicago, ILL" and seems to be turn of the century. I think she got it from the bay.

IMGP4300.JPG

Bench was hand-made in 1937 by a "Walter Zemis" from Detroit, Michigan, probably from plans that came out of Chicago, can't think of the company name right now. I love my bench but probably not as much as he did, it has a couple hundred hand-carved dovetail joints.
    I bought it from a picker in Michigan, got a great deal on the bench, lathe, staking set and a bunch of tools.

Just don't know how to use any of it!

6.jpg bench.jpg

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 15, 2017

I know where you live and I could come around and relieve you of all of that old stuff while you sleep.

1. Pity I live on the other side of the planet.

2. I could never look at or use those things without feeling incredible guilt and shame.

So you're lucky Jimbo, they are your treasures to keep (you lucky bugger).

:D

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 15, 2017

Not the only bloke who suffers from that affliction Jim. I often find myself looking at beautiful rounding up tools in auctions and antique places. They are beautiful and I WANT one.

Like one of these.

RUT.jpg

It would look great in my watch room, but like you, I wouldn't have a clue how to use it.

But just imagine the pleasure you'd gain from just looking at it and imagining what it and the watchmaker who used it had done with it.

19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 17, 2017

Qui ridet ultimus ridet optimus...

mikechi22 likes this.
  20. tyrantlizardrex Nov 17, 2017

Baxter, you know I don’t speak Spanish.

MEugene likes this.