Forums Latest Members
  1. Shep Feb 19, 2020

OK team Omega it has been 5 years almost since I was last pecking away on this keyboard here learning about my old flying buddy, my Speedmaster.

I did finally obtain the other #47 end piece that I wanted, but I gave up on having it serviced. Mr. Archer couldn't take it in because he had too much to do.

So, Mr. Archer pointed me to AWCI, which I did. After filtering out the "CMW"s & "CMW21"s my eyes glazed over. However, I did contact a few and to a person they all said they would have to send it off.

If Mr. Archer still can't take this watch in, does anyone know of any other craftsman that has the reputation of Mr. Archer? As I stated, I am now 70 and getting tired of not wearing this watch again.

Any wisdom from the Omega Team would be appreciated... front face.jpg Speedmaster.jpg IMG_6627.jpg IMG_6620.jpg

Edited Feb 19, 2020
  2. Donn Chambers Feb 19, 2020

Since you seem hesitant to spend $750 to have it serviced (which is the going rate for a competent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account), then you have two choices, IMO:

1. Just wear it as is until it eventually breaks and it no longer works. Then sell it for parts as a non-functioning watch.

2. Sell it now for more money as working but needing service as it hasn’t been serviced in 40+ years.

Frankly, unless the cost of repair is really a financial burden or you need the money, why not fix it and wear it? But since you left it in a drawer for 40 years, I suspect you don’t have that much of an attachment to it. In that case, just sell it and move on.

Shep and MMariotti like this.
  3. MMariotti Feb 19, 2020

If someone is willing to service it for less that 1000 $, then I am not sure it's worth sending it as they probably are going to cut corners.

If you are not willing to get it serviced it's not a problem to sell it IMHO, since you have not been wearing a lot anyway.

4. Shep Feb 19, 2020

thanks..no the cost isn't a financial burden..it just seemed a lot to me not knowing what the usual fees are concerning "servicing".
    Actually, I left it in the "drawer' so to speak, for so long was I actually for got about it. When I quit flying I just didn't pursue it and it no longer was fore front in my mind. However, you are correct about the 2 options I have...Since getting out of the drawer I am attached to it again..how can one not be?

5. Shep Feb 19, 2020

Thanks for your reply..might I ask who you would send your prized Omega to?

That might help me figure this out...

Thanks in advance

Shep

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 19, 2020

Shep, turn the question around and ask here for help with: servicing a caliber 861. Only. Not touching anything else. At all. Ever. Around Us$ 600 will be possible. Get that quote in writing. Have the recommendations sent to you via private message. Check the suggestions on the Net. Send, pay and enjoy. Kind regards from another young 70. Achim

Shep and izydor like this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 19, 2020

If you do a site search you'll find there are plenty of competent watchmakers throughout the US who work on Speedmasters.

8. Shep Feb 19, 2020

Thanks...
    Yea..you are very correct and astute as I should have been on my first post...I just have been pursuing getting this piece serviced and I want to have a good feeling when I send it to whomever...and my frustration just got the best of me and I should not have penned those frustrations in my post...thanks for straightening out the old geezer here...Cost really isn't the issue it is just a name that you professional trust..I can screw up a one car funeral and I don't want to screw this once in a lifetime servicing of this old friend...

Great advice and thanks so much!

Shep

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. MTROIS Feb 19, 2020

In what part of the world are you located @Shep ?

10. Dan S Feb 19, 2020

Looks like a nice watch, and it's sentimental to you, but from the perspective of servicing, it's no different than millions of other cal 861 watches that that are serviced regularly by many watchmakers all over the world. Do some research and find a trusted repair shop. Contact/join a local watch club or group and network a bit with other watch lovers in your area. There are many ways to do it. Have patience and it will be fine.

Shep, watchyouwant and MMariotti like this.
  11. MMariotti Feb 20, 2020

Omega's goal is to return a watch to you as close as new as possible, meaning that they will replace anything that it's not pristine, and most likely polish it. It is great to send a relatively new watch for service (a 10 years old speedy for instance), but in your case they might actually de-value it.

It has to be said that recently Omega seems to care more about retaining your watch integrity, but it still can be an expensive struggle. Moreover they will send you all the parts they replaced with the watch, so theoretically, if they replace the dial, you can ask someone else to put it back on, which makes then going to Omega redundant.

If you care about the value of it I suggest not to send it. If you just want a watch as close to new as possible then it might work for you.

I personally would avoid that.

Shep likes this.
  12. kkt Feb 20, 2020

My understanding is that it's the 321 caliber that has parts the Omega can't/won't send to its authorized service locations, but 861s like yours should be able to be service at any independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account. You don't say where you are, but I had my 861 serviced at Nesbit's in Seattle a couple of years ago. Expect them to charge the same as service with Omega, I think around $750 now, but (unlike Omega) they will respect your request for no polish and respect for original dial. I know they're taking work and their backlog isn't horrible.

Shep likes this.
  13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 21, 2020

The Watchmaker does not need an Omega Parts Account. They have their own connections to get a part, if needed. Kind regards. Achim

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2020

True - parts are out there, but often the watchmaker will be paying a premium to source them on the open market. Since 2015, when Swatch group stopped selling parts to third party resellers, the prices of parts have gone up as the supply has dwindled. In addition, counterfeit parts are more common than they once were, so if someone is buying parts on eBay (even in Omega style packaging), they may not be real Omega parts...

Cheers, Al

kkt, Shep and watchyouwant like this.
  15. Shep Feb 28, 2020

Southern United States

16. Shep Feb 28, 2020

Thanks to all for helping this novice get on the right track. I now have several reputable watchmakers to choose from.

Also, thanks to this forum for having "hooked" me into this past time of "vintage" watch collecting. I find myself reading almost every new and sometimes older threads! This is quite a unique hobby. I now have to go to my lock box and retrieve my father and my grandfathers pocket watches and see about their pasts............So, stay tuned!

Shep