Forums Latest Members
  1. Bartlebobton Sep 29, 2020

Hello... Could someone kindly recommend a person who could restore the dial of my watch. The colour is unusual, I say that, as every other watch of this style I have seen, has been either dark grey or dark blue, this is the only one I've seen with a gold dial. In all honesty I don't mind changing the colour, to an "original" dark blue, because of the tone, the dial gets really washed out in bright light, further more the contrast between the dial and the beautiful silver Garibaldi band doesn't quite work, but that's just my own personal view.

Any help much appreciated.

Best wishes... BB (UK)

ps The 625 movement I've found to be really reliable.

omega1.jpg omega2.jpg
  2. ZIELSZIEK Sep 29, 2020

https://billandsons.co.uk/
    I have never had anything redialed but I know The Watch Guy uses them whenever a redial is needed.
    Are you aware of the risks involved?

Bartlebobton likes this.
  3. Bartlebobton Sep 29, 2020

Hello... no, rather naively I thought it was rather a straightforward thing to do. Could you tell me what the risks are ?

Thank you... BB

4. Bartlebobton Sep 29, 2020

Well... I've had one quote £295 from a W.E.ClarkandSon... I had to have a cup of tea, plus a biscuit, after I read that quote...

5. Dan S Sep 29, 2020

The dial looks fine to me, and it seems risky to pay money to have it refinished, especially not knowing whether it will come out well in the end.

Bartlebobton and apsm100 like this.
  6. apsm100 applysome! Sep 29, 2020

For £295 it would probably be cheaper to find a donor watch and take the dial from it. I personally think your watch looks okay though.

Bartlebobton likes this.
  7. Bartlebobton Sep 29, 2020

I see; quite obviously I don't have the basic knowledge and looking at the task too simplistically. It never really crossed my mind that it could be problematic to have a dial refinished. I've seen a couple of other Jeux D'Argent watches with a rather complex, almost 3 dimensional finish, in blue.

The impression I'm getting is that I'm fretting over a problem, that isn't really a problem, perhaps I need to stop and think again. I suppose In a way by have the dial finished in a different colour, the integrity of the watch is somewhat diluted...h'mmm

Thank you; apsm100 and Dan S for your thoughts... BB

apsm100 likes this.
  8. Edward53 Sep 29, 2020

I also think the dial looks original. Redials are a gamble, varying from quite well-executed to just awful and there is no going back. Enjoy it on its own terms. It's not a watch that would work for me but it has a quirky sort of charm. Don't mess it up.

Bartlebobton likes this.
  9. Bartlebobton Sep 30, 2020

Hi Edward... Thank you for your help, it's that sort of advice I need, something in plain English...and very clear. Definitely no redial work now, the watch will stay as is.
    Bizarrely, I really love these watches; flamboyant, very much of a time of a place, their "connection".."inspiration"...."dérivée" with the "All about Time Collection" by Andrew Grima...is an interesting footnote. What really irritates me are those who claim this is an Andrew Grima watch...or design by him...it isn't... grrrhhh

The only other comment I'd make about these watches is; the 625 movement, works really well, I've found it to be very reliable.

Many thanks to all the others who have added their guidance and comments,

Best wishes... BB

Edward53 likes this.