Forums Latest Members
  1. Sher Apr 11, 2020

Greatings!
    Today I removed the 565 movement from my Omega Geneve watch in order to clean some dirt from the back of the glass.
    When I tried to refit the stem and crown I have discovered that the pusher that releases the stem is stuck in pressed down position and the stem comes out.
    There is an easy fix?
    Thanks!

5651.jpg 565.jpg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2020

Yes - remove hands, dial, disassemble calendar, fix it, then put it all back together.

Cheers, Al

3. KingCrouchy Apr 11, 2020

What happened with this poor movement?

IMG_20200411_150414.jpg
    OMEGuy likes this.
  4. omegasaso12 Apr 11, 2020

As Archer said. No other way to fix it. Lever has jumped out from position.

Its pain in the ass when this happens :), becouse you need to be carefull not to damage hands and dial. In your case if dial and hands are in same condition as movement you dont need to be carefull, just do it.

5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 11, 2020

Watch beavers...

KingCrouchy likes this.
  6. DManzaluni Apr 12, 2020

Does anyone know how this happens? Is there a push equivalent of turning the screw too far anti-clockwise and accidentally disengaging it from the plate?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2020

No - the "button" is part of the setting lever, so there's no way they can be disengaged like in a system that uses a setting lever screw. Likely the button was pushed too far in, and the yoke came out of the groove in the sliding pinion.

It's possible also that the hole that the setting lever "button" goes into might be dirty, causing it to stick...but most likely the yoke is out of position.

8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 12, 2020

Filthy, poorly serviced movement; the old oil and dirt acting as a cement. Possibly chips from the watch beaver jamming it.

9. DManzaluni Apr 12, 2020

I am trying to ascribe blame here. I just sold one of these (actually a 564) which was working fine when I sold it. It seems to have been working fine (and I'll bet the buyer was wearing it) for a few weeks thereafter. Then the buyer reported some stem problem. He took it into some country-bumpkin repairer and suddenly it had what the repairer reports as a "gate" problem which on minor dissembly to inspect, he can't fix. So I am trying to figure out what is wrong. I NEVER assume the buyer is at fault.

But there again, about a month ago I was at a show and came across a very young and enthusiastic newbie with good taste who bought from me very inexpensively an extraordinarily beautiful porcelain dialed 1920s Omega as a wearer.

Omega porcelain dial.jpg

But the crystal came off. He then got scared. So I used proper crystal glue to get it back on. About an hour later, he demanded his money back after that crystal came off again! So I assumed it had shrunk, wouldn't go back on, and gave this teenager his money back. Yet i put it in an envelope and took it home, and when I looked at it again a day later, the crystal was stuck fast!

In retrospect, he had clearly, without knowing what he was doing, picked at the crystal and torn it out of the case before the glue had dried and then nervously professed a lack of confidence in the whole watch!!

So the buyer, - even with good taste, - IS sometimes at fault.

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 12, 2020

This is why I am reluctant to sell watches on eBay. The last time, the person who bought a Stocker and Yale 590 told me it was broken. I said, "my watchmaker will inspect it and if there's nothing wrong with it, you don't get a refund." Then it was "too hard to wind." This was on a no-return auction. Don't need that kind of aggravation.

Tom

11. DManzaluni Apr 12, 2020

Even worse, ebay almost always blames the seller when a buyer changes his mind and INITIALLY demands that the seller pay shipping costs of the any-excuse change of mind.

But curiously if you appeal, you CAN establish what went wrong and correct it!! I have done this often. Sometimes the buyer loses and the seller ends up with the item and the buyer doesn't get his money back! Occasionally ebay is scared of the buyer complaining to the credit card company, and sometimes they allow the seller to keep the sales price AND they refund the buyer for the change of mind.

At the moment, however, with no one working there, all bets are off! BUT this is the time when there are bored buyers out there locked up in a room with nothing but their computers to keep them company: So buying is a bit brisk these days! (unfortunately, so are the trolling questions, - incessant 'does this work?' questions, 'how big are the lugs?', 'can I get more pictures of the strap? etc etc)

[Though these sales weren't ebay sales]