Forums Latest Members
  1. Servius Dec 15, 2020

Hello OF,

I've spotted this watch at an auction, and am suspicious about the dial. For once the pics are pretty good and in focus, so let's start with what I can see.

The crown looks like rose gold ( ::confused2:: ). The case looks pretty crisp, with (double) eagle head marking, french for 18k gold, consistent with the Fab. Suisse on the dial.

2.JPG
    1.JPG
    4.JPG
    The auction house doesn't want to open the watch, as they don't want to damage it with an improper tool or awful skills, so no movement shots.

They are talking about a two-tone dial, thing that I can't see at all on the picture. The inscription on the dial looks nice, and makes me think of an example displayed on OJTT (which might be itself a redial...)

5.jpg

So my guess is that it's an old redial, but I'm completely unsure about it. What do you all think about it?

Thanks for reading,

2. Dimitris Dec 15, 2020

I am a bit hesitant about this one , dont think the crown ,hour and minute hands are correct for this watch as they are rose gold not yellow gold , the second thing that concerns me is that an auction house is not willing to open the caseback of a watch?! If the seller is not showing me the movement I am not paying for that watch .. As for the dial am not sure cant comment about it but I wouldnt be surprised if its a redial .

3. Servius Dec 15, 2020

@Dimitris
    Thanks for your insight!

Don’t see the rose in the hands, but ok ;)

From my perspective it’s not unusual at all that small auction houses, without any watch expert ( :D ) aren’t willing about open the watches...

After all, they are taking only 25% ::bleh::

4. cristos71 Dec 15, 2020

Redial. Quite a few tells amongst which is the incorrect font and sloppy letter spacing of Chronometre.

I would expect a 352 and obviously a French case. The hands and markers look correct for the period.

Service crowns in RG are almost too rosy in colour for some 50's RG cases, especially the French ones where the hue is very variable.

Here are my two specimens to compare, one is much rosier than the other but put the less rosy one next to a yellow gold watch and it is very clearly rose.

20170615_210823.jpg
    2015-09-18 09.45.23-1.jpg

Edited Dec 15, 2020
    qazwsx1, MtV, Deafboy and 3 others like this.
  5. Servius Dec 15, 2020

@cristos71

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

Tbh, I'm searching for one of those since I saw your specimens... Gorgeous ::love::

6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2022

Hello everyone

Was looking at old threads referring to the 352 as a 352RG . Calling a 352 a 352RG is redundant and I think incorrect use of Rg ( it’s should be “Rg”).
    also by The way the dial in the OP looks original to me .

Good hunting
    Bill

gatorcpa likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 9, 2022

Dial looks original to me. The details on the seconds register are very clear.

The “Fab. Suisse” was printed separately, probably by the French importer to comply with the law.
    gatorcpa

Bill Sohne likes this.