Forums Latest Members
  1. brack Aug 25, 2015

Hi,
    What are your thoughts on this recent find in a Charity shop? DSC00009.jpg DSC00006.jpg DSC00007.jpg DSC00008.jpg

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 25, 2015

That one's dial looks to be a redo and not done all that well. If one wanted a project and it could be bought right then it might be fun.

The 344 movement is great. I'm wearing a 1954 vintage Omega automatic with 344 movement today.
    [​IMG]

Hijak likes this.
  3. brack Aug 25, 2015

I think you are right, numbered sub dial seem to date from the 1940's! Quite pretty though.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Aug 25, 2015

The dial is poorly refinished, which has a significant impact on value. Judging from the amount of dirt, it has not been serviced in a while, so you will need to account for a service. Unless it is cheap, the effort and cost you will put into the watch is likely to exceed the value. My 2c.

5. Canuck Aug 25, 2015

I work on watches quite frequently that I deem to be not worth repair! The cost of the repair being higher than the cost of a new equivalent watch. Anything might be said to have intrinsic value, and sentimental value. I count my blessings that sentimental value is why these watches get fixed. I just returned to service my Omega bumper automatic caliber 355. Sentimental value? Not really. But I have long wanted one. So perhaps I have more into it than some folks feel it is worth. But it's worth it to me. If you have bought it, or are perhaps considering buying it, check the Omega Watches For Sale forum on this MB to gain some perspective of what people are asking, for these, as well as perhaps how much some are prepared to pay for them. Get a quote for the required repairs, then decide whether the watch will be worth it to you.

noelekal likes this.
  6. DON Aug 26, 2015

I would check on a repair cost and go from there.

Needs a proper dial refinishing and 3 new hands. Movement I would rate at 7.5/10. Little aging by the winding stem, but overall looks good.

Before anything is done. I would clean up around the case and check for pitting. Hard to tell with the aged gunk, but if case is good and you can find a reasonable watchmaker who won't gouge on the cleaning.

That would have been a watch I would restore, but my watchmaker gave me low cleaning prices and my dial refinisher only charged $50

Not sure what some charge now for cleaing and dials

DON

7. brack Aug 29, 2015

Thanks all for the DSC00016.jpg wise words, will probably sell on as I really want an original dial watch.
    Got a nice new Darlena strap though!