Forums Latest Members
  1. byunjoe Feb 25, 2019

Hello fine members of OFs. I recently became smitten by the look of 40s Omega dress watches - those with thin bezels and giant subdials are just so elegant to me. I have been eyeing these 3 examples and ask for your opinions about each of them.

1. https://www.chrono24.com/omega/vintage-classic-watch-cal-30t2-original-dial-ref-2271--id10296388.htm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This first one looks to be highly original, but the crown may be a replacement. The upper left lugs also looks bent or overpolished towards the end - perhaps it's just lens distortion with the picture? That's something the seller should be able to answer.

2. https://www.horare.com/watches/1945-omega-dress-30t2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This second one is very attractive, but looking at additional pictures, it's possible that the case has been polished and doing some research, the dial may be a replacement as it is identical to a 'NOS replacement dial' found by @westmtn years back. The crown is also incorrect as it is supposed to be a mushroom shaped, unsigned crown.

3. https://brusselsvintagewatches.com/en/produit/omega-30t2-two-tone-dial-ref-2390/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last one appears to be a very honest and clean example. The crown is probably a replacement as it is likely supposed to be a flat, unsigned one. However, the price is both the highest and the size the smallest (35, 35 vs 33mm).

While I am in no rush to purchase a 30t2 since I will be overseas until mid March, I would still appreciate your thoughts on these examples. And if anyone has a lead on other honest examples, I am more than happy to take a look!

Edit: Added pictures to OP

Edited Feb 26, 2019
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 25, 2019

Please post photos, not links.

3. byunjoe Feb 25, 2019

Apologies, I have updated the original post.

4. Hippocampus Feb 26, 2019

First one would be the one I’d go for with those Arabic numerals and the minute chapter, it’s a looker. I can’t see any problems with the 10:00 lug, and the crown (if it is a replacement) is at least a vintage one. Price is a little on the high side but the seller takes offers. Dial patina is handsome and consistent too. Only thing that concerns me is that there’s only one pic of the movement at kind of an oblique angle, I might ask for a clearer one to make sure the finish matches on all the components.

The other two are nice, but I (personally) like the first one the most ::bleh::

byunjoe likes this.
  5. byunjoe Feb 27, 2019

Indeed, I am in talks with the seller right now concerning more pics. They also reassure me that the lug is fine haha. Hopefully they will accept a figure just under 1k USD!

Hippocampus likes this.