Omega 2998 Blenheim auctions

Posts
28
Likes
26
I bid on this on Sunday, whilst relatively new to vintage speedmasters I thought I’d done my homework. Description initially said 2998-2, I queried with Blenheims as I wasn’t sure dial was correct, hard to see in photos but also thought alpha hands were too short, likely seamaster. Blenheim’s didn’t reply but removed -2 from description, somewhat surprised to see it go for £12000 plus 26-29.5% premium, did I miss something?
 
Posts
13,908
Likes
54,080
How could anyone possibly judge or bid on a watch from these pics?
 
Posts
1,670
Likes
8,397
The pix in the link are useless as well. Not sure what you are asking but as a start maybe post some clear and well lighted shots.
 
Posts
28
Likes
26
I’m not the auctioneer, that’s all there is and someone paid c£15k for that watch with that info, lot of risk in poor photos and no movement or case back pics, I was wondering whether others though the same?
 
Posts
1,670
Likes
8,397
And you were also bidding based on the poor info and pix? You seem to be critical of others doing the same thing that you were doing.
 
Posts
28
Likes
26
I stopped at less than half the sale price as I felt there was a lot of risk, my original post asked, as there are many more knowledgeable than I on here, did I miss something that meant it was worth so much ?
 
Posts
13,908
Likes
54,080
I stopped at less than half the sale price as I felt there was a lot of risk, my original post asked, as there are many more knowledgeable than I on here, did I miss something that meant it was worth so much ?
No one here would bid on that watch based on what we see. So you dodged a bullet. Those of us who have these have at least one Moonwatch book, use Speedmaster 101 and need to see SN and more detail. We also post up if we are not sure. 321 and predecessor are the deep end of the speedy pool. Lots of Franken out there.
 
Posts
28
Likes
26
Thank you. I suspect I did dodge a bullet. I have bought the moon watch book, it is still surprisingly easy to make mistakes, hoping that will diminish with experience, for me a sort of a confirmation bias sets in- I start believing something is, for example a B3 dial, and miss the things mean that it isn’t- marvellous book as is the speedmaster101 site. There is however, for me, a real pleasure in bringing neglected watches back in to something close to original, serviced, keeping good time and not so valuable you can’t wear them day to day- I’d far rather have a slightly imperfect but well functioning Ed White than the 321 re-issue. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong with that, just my preference. Having said that no-one likes overpaying, unless it’s a charity auction!
 
Posts
528
Likes
3,715
The hands are definitely not correct, but the biggest problem is....the dial is just not attractive, and for me, that's the kiss of death on these old watches. The 2998s can produce some of the most attractive aging in the indices, but this one had nothing to offer in that category. I can't imagine a truly nice 2998 can be had now for less than 20k usd....more likely 30 for a pretty one that's not pieced together. I only have a couple of them these days.
 
Posts
28
Likes
26
I don’t need Moonwatch to know that is a wonderful looking watch-I’m going to have to either raise my budget or lower my desire- I agree it didn’t have the X factor
 
Posts
6,829
Likes
10,646
Pics are not that bad. This one is 12mb

 
Posts
528
Likes
3,715
It's getting better! I'd always be very tempted to scrape and re lum the indices...leaving it much prettier and no longer original.