Omega 2513-12SC

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some help identifying the style/type for this Omega.

We were clearing out my Wifes house yesterday and came across her Dads watch which was put in a box 15 years ago when he passed away. Only yesterday did we find it was an old Omega. I've scoured the internet to see if I could find another the same but no joy. Similar but not the same!. Just for information really, to know more about it. We will be putting a leather strap on to replace the expanding Bracelet!
My wife want to wear it as a special memento of her Father.
Looks to be 34mm case Circa 1952?
Inside back:- Plaque OR 80 Microns, Case type 2513-12SC. Push fit back
Movement (which is immaculate) Calibre 283, SN 13890354, 17 Jewels

On another side note I notice a extremely fine hand engraving almost impossible to see by the eye alone...looks to be 6E52674 does this mean anything?

Also who would you recommend for straps?

Many thanks in advance

Here’s a little information from Omega’s website about this model:
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-other-omega-dw-2513
The dial on your father-in-law's watch is quite a bit different than the one pictured on Omega’s website. That could mean that the dial was refinished at some point in the past. It could also mean that there is more than one dial variation for this reference which was not uncommon among Omega models back in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Please note that the lume dots on the dial are very likely to have radium based paint. It is safe as long as the watch case and crystal are intact, but the watch should only be opened and serviced by a professional. 80 microns indicates the thickness of the gold plating on the watch case. This is what is called a gold capped case meaning that a relatively thick layer of gold is bonded to the watch’s stainless steel case. This is much better and more durable than a gold plated case where there is a much thinner layer of gold that is bonded to a base metal like brass. Gold capped cases usually hold up well over time whereas gold plated cases tend to wear through to the base metal. 1952 would be correct as the probable year of manufacture based upon the serial number. As for straps, RIOS1931 makes some nice ones that are a good value.
Edited:

Here’s a little information from Omega’s website about this model:
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-other-omega-dw-2513
The dial on your father-in-law's watch is quite a bit different than the one pictured on Omega’s website. That could mean that the dial was refinished at some point in the past. It could also mean that there is more than one dial variation for this reference which was not uncommon among Omega models back in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Please note that the lume dots on the dial are very likely to have radium based paint. It is safe as long as the watch case and crystal are intact, but the watch should only be opened and serviced by a professional. 80 microns indicates the thickness of the gold plating on the watch case. This is what is called a gold capped case meaning that a relatively thick layer of gold is bonded to the watch’s stainless steel case. This is much better and more durable than a gold plated case where there is a much thinner layer of gold that is bonded to a base metal like brass. Gold capped cases usually hold up well over time whereas gold plated cases tend to wear through to the base metal. 1952 would be correct as the probable year of manufacture based upon the serial number. As for straps, RIOS1931 makes some nice ones that are a good value.

Many thanks for this detail, the dial i like a lot its a two tone that changes with the light/angle. I notice it currently has a plastic glass not Crystal..would this of been original in the 50's or a later (cheaper) repair? I assume if crystal I could get this changed. Thanks

A plastic crystal would be correct for this reference. If it’s the original crystal, there may be a very tiny Omega symbol etched into the center of the crystal. It’s easiest to see with a loupe or magnifying glass. Angle the watch under a lamp so that the light is reflected across the face of the crystal. If the logo is there, you’ll see something like this under magnification. If the crystal has scratches or marks on it, they can be easily polished out by a watchmaker or you can do it yourself with PolyWatch.
21414482-h59jmrfpoov0jhgra01yzyl9-ExtraLarge.jpg
Edited:

Thanks again, Unfortunately it seems to have some small cracks...only noticed once i took the photo :-(

Thanks again, Unfortunately it seems to have some small cracks...only noticed once i took the photo :-(

Beautiful watch.

I see what look to be cracks at 11 - 12 and at 2 - 3. I would have a watchmaker replace the crystal and service the movement if your wife is going to wear it. Make sure you instruct your watchmaker not to touch the dial or hands, they are beautiful as-is, and some watchmakers will try to 'improve' their appearance without asking.

Thanks i will do as I love Patina of age. Just got to find a watchmaker I can trust now! Anyone in Herefordshire can recommend one please let me know.