Omega 1975 seamaster automatic self winding watch

Hi- looking for advice. I purchased a 1975 Omega Seamaster and know it’s not been serviced and date function does not appear to work. It’s still ticking and appears to be functioning. It’s an automatic self winding PA 166 065. I plan to get it serviced at local watch repair shop and change strap and dial. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Welcome! maybe try posting some pictures of the watch and then someone might have advice for you on the restoration :thumbsup:

Like 1
Welcome! maybe try posting some pictures of the watch and then someone might have advice for you on the restoration :thumbsup:
0F6C38EE-1D60-4014-BEE3-BF7A49C7EABD.jpeg 9A095708-CD69-4ED2-AA87-4752F2628F39.jpeg

Like 1
Thanks have posted two pictures

You might want to look at this more carefully. Dials are not universally interchangeable. Your existing dial fits and is the style your watch is supposed to have.

Like 4
While it's your watch, and you can do with it what you wish, I'm not sure that dial is compatible.

Edit: @janice&fred beat me to it...what he said!

Like 1
And putting the wrong dial on a watch can really f*** up the value of a watch or, if you actually go ahead and do it, f*** down the value by turning a nice piece with a reasonable value to a collector into a franken watch.

You might want to look at this more carefully. Dials are not universally interchangeable. Your existing dial fits and is the style your watch is supposed to have.
The existing dial appears to have a small mark on right of date dial .

And putting the wrong dial on a watch can really f*** up the value of a watch or, if you actually go ahead and do it, f*** down the value by turning a nice piece with a reasonable value to a collector into a franken watch.
I guess it’s a project watch to mark year of birth. Will keep hold of all original parts as it comes with original box and papers .

OP, what makes you think that the dial will fit the caliber and reference, including that chapter ring, etc? Just eyeballing the position of the date window, it doesn't even look close. There are hundreds of variations. Moreover, if you do replace the dial with a correct one, you will probably need to find matching hands, or it will look ridiculous. My gut feeling is that you are wasting your time and money. If you don't like the dial, return the watch and patiently wait for one that you are happy with.

Like 2
I prefer the look of this dial

I like this dial much more. I say swap out the dial and let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

OP, what makes you think that the dial will fit the caliber and reference, including that chapter ring, etc? Just eyeballing the position of the date window, it doesn't even look close. There are hundreds of variations. Moreover, if you do replace the dial with a correct one, you will probably need to find matching hands, or it will look ridiculous. My gut feeling is that you are wasting your time and money. If you don't like the dial, return the watch and patiently wait for one that you are happy with.
Am afraid patience is not one of my stronger virtues, am a total Novice

Like 1
Am afraid patience is not one of my stronger virtues, am a total Novice
The advice and warning @Dan S gave is exactly what a novice needs. If it's even physically possible (which I personally doubt) to do what you want, you'll probably spend a lot more time and money on it than you think, and I suspect at some point down the line you'll be unhappy with the result and end up buying again. If it's meant to be a special watch, putting in more time to find one you love in its original form will probably be more gratifying and meaningful.

Like 7
The advice and warning @Dan S gave is exactly what a novice needs. If it's even physically possible (which I personally doubt) to do what you want, you'll probably spend a lot more time and money on it than you think, and I suspect at some point down the line you'll be unhappy with the result and end up buying again. If it's meant to be a special watch, putting in more time to find one you love in its original form will probably be more gratifying and meaningful.

Thanks after some thought I will leave original dial. I had bought a watch repair kit online and able to confirm watch is original and has self winding

Like 1
This is great advice IMO

The serial looks to be 33.8m. If so it is earlier than 1975. More like 1971-72 in fact. There were no Omegas using the 565 movement by 1975, they had moved on to the much uglier 1000 series movements.