Forums Latest Members

Omega 1951, Micron 80, cal.365? - what do I have here?

1. dkjkr Jan 7, 2022

Hi forum,
    i have been trawling the internet to find more about the watch I got from my grandma. She got it from Her late husband.
    She got some pictures taken from inside the watch, who she replaces the plexiglass.

It should be a 1951 model.
    Model number: 2497-8
    Micron 80
    Diameter 35 (without crown I think)

a) Can anyone tell me more about this watch, maybe also a price indication ? (NOT selling, just want to know if I dare to wear it everyday).

b) The crown looks unoriginal, what should I search for, to find a replacement from Omega?

c)A little embarrassing: is the correct way to wind it, to turn the crown clockwise (forward), without pulling the crown out?

All the best,
    Jonas

IMG_4418.jpg IMG_4420.jpg IMG_4419.jpg IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0273.JPG
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2022

The 80 micron is the gold plating depth, this is actually quite thick for plate but obviously not as desirable as solid gold. A 12.3m serial model would be from circa 1951 as you suggest. If you search on the model number 2497 you may find further info (you can skip the iteration -8 which isnt important).

As for price, maybe think low hundreds of USD, Euros or GBP. It is a classic design but the plated case will hold the value back a little. Personally I wouldn't worry about the crown, sourcing and fitting the correct one wont add the value it will cost. Just get it serviced and wear it. Be aware though that it may cost nearly as much to service as it is worth so it will be a labour of love.

It sounds like you are winding it correctly but if it needs a service (and it probably does looking at it) then I would leave it well alone until that has been done.

Edited Jan 7, 2022
    Dan S likes this.
  3. dkjkr Jan 7, 2022

Thanks for the fast reply. Ill try searching for the 2497 number. So far I have found a few with the same design, but none that was in 80 microns. A service in Denmark is about 190GBP, 228€ or 258$, and that fits your price estimate pretty well?

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2022

Yes that sounds reasonable for a service. The value once working probably is a little higher than that, circa €400-500 perhaps but you wont recoup the outlay for the service, it would be worth maybe €250-350 as it is so only service it if you intend to keep it and use it.

Dan S likes this.
  5. ApolloXVII Jan 10, 2022

Hi..Value about 200 Euro so it's better to keep it as part of you family history.

6. Claven2 Jan 10, 2022

you'll get as many valeu estimates as there are opinions on the internet. For a good idea, look at completed auctions for this reference on e-bay and filter through those for the ones that are similar in condition to your watch. Should give you a good idea.