Forums Latest Members
  1. Mega1 Jan 30, 2023

Hello everyone!
    I recently became the owner of an Omega watch from 1915 with an Omega case and dial, but the movement is not Omega and it is also broken. Does anyone know what mechanism it is and what to do? Should I repair this mechanism or try to find a correct 1915 mechanism? Even if I pass it, the number on the mechanism will not correspond to the number on the cover.

FA93E882-CF60-4109-9D5A-5AC1187DBDCD.jpeg B6A4B540-3EFE-4A60-952F-F1714ACFA163.jpeg D27DCC4D-7EE3-45BA-80A8-5C223A5221F2.jpeg
  2. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 30, 2023

Hello,
    The dial was repainted and is completely wrong (wrong logo, wrong font, wrong indexes etc...) for this watch. The hands are also incorrect.
    The early Omega calibers were marked on the dial side of the mainplate. Yours seems original to me. If you remove the dial (or have it removed by a watchmaker if you're not familiar on how to do) you shoud see the Omega serial number and a reference to patent 8760). Don' worry if the caliber and case serials don't match, they never do as Cases and calibers were numbered separately were produced and assembled later.
    Unless you are lucky enough to find a correct set of dial and hands and the replacement parts for a small price, I think it is not worth the costs of bringing this watch back to a collection condition.

Mark020 and JimInOz like this.
  3. Vintage Lemania Jan 30, 2023

If you intend to wear it and if you don't like the dial in its current state, not a terrible idea to have it refinished, as it definitely looks rough in its current refinished state. All depends on whether or not you think it is worth it to spend money on the watch.

4. TexOmega Jan 30, 2023

:coffee:

not from 1915

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 30, 2023

Even with an original Omega movement, the number on the movement (which will be on the plate under the dial) will not correspond to the case number anyway.

Omega movements were numbered separately from cases up until about the 1940s so it's normal to find an Omega with a case number and a different movement number.

As others have said, restoration may be a money pit.

Tire-comedon and Vintage Lemania like this.
  6. Mega1 Jan 31, 2023

Thank you all for the useful information!

After the first post, I realized that the dial is not from the time (Swiss made). I hope the watchmaker can find the number on the side of the mechanism. If we confirm the originality of the movement, I will try to find the original dial and hands and bring the watch back to life.
    Regards

7. Mega1 Feb 1, 2023

Hello,
    you were right! Below the dial is the serial number and the patent number, just like you said. Unfortunately, the watch cannot be repaired without significant investment, so it goes for parts.
    Best regards,

C9CC740A-45DB-4344-AC6D-002CE2484497.jpeg