Forums Latest Members
  1. Sturmvogel Dec 18, 2016

Hello,

I have been looking for an Omega 168.024 Chronometer for quite some time (over a year). While they don't seem to be very rare, it is hard to find one in very nice or preferably even NOS condition.

Recently, I saw one that seems to be in a very nice condition, but it may have been polished. The price is accordingly high (over 1000 USD) and before I spend such an amount for a 168.024, I'd like to hear your opinions. To me it looks OK from what I can see. The Omega tag probably didn't belong to this watch but is a generic one.

Thanks for any help and expert opinion.

Roger

Omega1.jpg Omega2.jpg Omega3.jpg
  2. Sturmvogel Dec 18, 2016

PS: the upper left lug at the inner edge seems to have been polished a bit. Is the bracelet original and fitting to this type of watch? The space between the lugs and bracelet seems to be a bit large.

3. Sturmvogel Dec 18, 2016

PS again: the date number looks damaged or is it just because of the lens?

4. Sturmvogel Dec 19, 2016

Nobody? I know it is one of this stupid "Is this a good or bad one" threads of a greenhorn, but I'd really appreciate your input. I have studied this type of watch for quite a while, but since I so far have hesitated to pull the trigger on one, I can't compare the photos with a good one and am not sure if it is worth spending more than 1000 USD.

5. Edward53 Dec 20, 2016

Sorry nobody has answered you yet, but it's difficult to be sure from those photos. The dial looks ok and the date wheel is prob ok and just under the window, as you said. The case back looks a bit polished and the whole thing looks slightly too obviously shiny for my taste. I'm not sure if that crown belongs on the watch. Perhaps it's just me but I'm always suspicious of slick, gimmicky photos like these. A movement photo would help.

6. Sturmvogel Dec 20, 2016

Hello Edward,

Many thanks for your reply and assessment based on the available photos. I found it also a bit suspicious that there were no photos of the movement nor of all sides of the case. I think I will pass on this one then. I was also not too sure about the bracelent. The gaps between the bracelent and watch lugs appear to me to be quite large.

I have been looking for a nice 166.010 or 168.024 for over a year. But somehow, most were in a bad condition or heavily polished. I found only few in decent condition. The search continues....

Cheers,
    Roger