Forums Latest Members
  1. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

Hello Omega Forum !

I am considering another vintage omega and have found a few that are local to me. But im not any kind of expert so i have some questions.
    (there will be a post after this for the second option)

There is a 166.010 cal 565 for sale for fairly cheap. Claims to be recently serviced and keeping time.
    However the dial is what i have questions about. there is a large amount of patina, so much so that you can barely make out the "omega" and "seamaster" logos.

Does this make it less desirable, enough to not purchase it?

It looks as if it may have a replacement crown as well?

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.43.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.44.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.44.36 AM.png

2. chipsotoole Feb 10, 2020

Various folks will tell you that a dial is anything from 60-80% of a watches value and or desirability. This, ahem, patinated dial is pretty screwed. Unless you've found it at a flea market or car boot sale for a couple of quid most folk here would advise against a purchase. It depends really on :
    1) the price
    2) would you proudly wear it as is
    3) whether or not you'd go down a redial route is order to wear it and thereby devalue it further (or not)

Crown isn"t original and although I like the case without a look at the back cover, I'm not entirely sure it's original either.

I AM a fan of cal 565 movements..real quality workhorse of their era..and this one at first glance looks pretty good.

You probably need to try it on your wrist- both for size and time viewing ability. I think I'd personally find the dial far too gone.

...Unless of course it was silly silly cheap...

Passover likes this.
  3. Passover Feb 10, 2020

Do you buy watches because they are "desireable" or do you buy watches because you think: What a great watch! ?

chipsotoole likes this.
  4. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

Definitely "what a great watch" however, i like to ensure that i can sell the watch later if decide to trade up, etc.
    I personally really like the dial but if i cant sell it later for anything close to what i paid, id prefer to stay away.

5. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2020

That's not patina.

6. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2020

What do you like about this dial? I really would like to know. It should look like this.

20180220_145303.jpg
    Manny1979 likes this.
  7. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

First off, thank you so much for your information,

its priced at $850 Canadian. So i would not say that it is silly cheap.

I quite like the dial really.. but if i cant sell it later when i want to trade up, or whatever the case may be then id rather stay away.

8. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

I seem to like an "off brown" colour mostly.
    other than that i dont like much about it. I would like the inscriptions to be more apparent.
    Nice to know the "before" condition

Thank you

9. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2020

Pass, run and never look back

STANDY and Passover like this.
  10. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

Thank you so much, its nice to have experts on this forum to turn to.
    I inherited a vintage pie pan that sparked this whole interest, i plan to learn more every day, but i thank you for your time.

11. Rochete Feb 10, 2020

Looks like a franken. It isn't even a 565, which is an automatic movement while that one is manual, a 61x. Case dubious, do you have a photo of the inside of caseback? I won't even mention the quoted price...::facepalm2::

12. New Yorker Feb 10, 2020

Yuck.

13. wilderbeast Feb 10, 2020

You’ll find far better Seamasters in better condition for the money, and many here would advise looking through the Private Watch Sales forum here to “recalibrate” what you might be best looking for. Calibre 565 was used in a lot of Omega lines (there’s one in the Dynamic in my avatar) and, has been pointed out, is a great workhorse movement.

You seem to be at the extreme end of “patina appreciation“ and for that reason alone, I think you’d find it hard to sell this on as most people interested in vintage watches expect something in better condition. The watch's various flaws and the steep price, your love of the dial notwithstanding, make this one to avoid.

GordanDaniel likes this.
  14. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

I am of course VERY new to this whole world, so i apologize for my probably embarrassing ignorance.
    I do have a constellation of which is in amazing original condition as well, as i do very much appreciate that realm of it all, but yes. something about "incredibly weathered" seems to appeal to my personality.

Again thank you for your time on both my posts. It is appreciated.

wilderbeast and Shabbaz like this.
  15. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2020

Stick around, get yourself a avatar, read up and start collecting. Welcome!

GordanDaniel likes this.
  16. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

Noted, thank you

17. GordanDaniel Feb 10, 2020

I thought the same thing, i have a 564 constellation of which the movement looks WAY different.
    thank you

18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 10, 2020

I suspect whatever did a number on the dial ruined the original movement as well.

19. nicks Feb 10, 2020

Hard pass; wildly overpriced. Lots and lots and lots of better vintage Omegas, in Canada, for that money.

Feel free to PM me if you want some reliable Canadian sellers. Good luck with the hunt.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2020

This is an automatic with the module that does the automatic winding removed. The 600 series looks quite different...

Cheers, Al

Dan S likes this.