Forums Latest Members
  1. Jeeper Sep 18, 2020

Good evening chaps.

I have a 1999 Datejust & 2003 Baume et Mercier Capeland S, both are COSC & both are gaining time.

I thought that I would check the magnetism of these & downloaded the Lepsi app.

I was correct both watches showed as being magnetised, however I then checked my Omega Ploprof titanium & this also showed as being magnetised.

I am confident that the Titanium Ploptof (15000 gaus) has not been magnetised since January!

Which makes me question the accuracy of the LEPSI app.

A bit of a rambling post, I know, but I would be interested in any feedback on the LEPSI app that you guys have.

TIA
    JEEPER

2. schoolboy Sep 18, 2020

Why don’t you try holding a compass next to them instead?

I’ve heard even the iPhone compass works

3. Bugbait Sep 21, 2020

Even if the Ploprof was magnetised (which is possible) it shouldn't impact the timekeeping in any notable way. The METAS certification doesn't mean the movement cannot be magnetised, just that a magnetic field of 15k+ gauss will not significantly impact its operation or time keeping ability.

richiv and speedypants like this.
  4. SkunkPrince Sep 21, 2020

My METAS certificate for my Railmaster LE says 2.9s/day demagnetized and 3.8s/day magnetized. Still within 0 to 6 sec/day specification, but it is noticeable0

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 21, 2020

A compass will not help. Lots of discussion about that here, you can check out https://omegaforums.net/posts/1355419/

6. SkunkPrince Sep 21, 2020

My watchmaker has a tiny little compass he sets over where the pallet is and you can see the needle swing with the watch beat. But this thing is super-tiny, I couldn't find one that small.

7. Jeeper Sep 21, 2020

Bugbait, forgive my ignorance, I was under the impression that due to the materials used, it would be more difficult for the watch to become magnetised, & that then the magnetism would not have an effect on the running due to silicon spring etc. For me it is the fact that I do not operate in a magnetism heavy environment & yet it is showing as being magnetised after only a short period of ownership. I was questioning the accuracy of the Lepsi app more than the fantastic Ploprof.

Edited Sep 21, 2020
  8. SkunkPrince Sep 21, 2020

For me the killer is my iPhone and iPad. Those things have super-strong magnets.

9. Bugbait Sep 21, 2020

I'm not sure how difficult it is to magnetise a Master Coaxial movement. I know @Archer has mentioned on various occasions that it's possible to magnetise the movement though. Makes sense given that Omega do magnetise and test them in that state as part of the METAS certification.

You don't have any tablet or mobile phone covers that use magnets? The range is short but those suckers are still powerful when placed in very close proximity.

The Lepsi application is only as accurate as the sensor on the phone. I'm not sure it even allows any calibration? It's been a while since I tried it.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2020

Only a few specific parts are made with new materials that are very resistant to being magnetized. There are still plenty of parts in the watch made of steels that can be magnetized.

11. scapa Sep 21, 2020

I use my SMP on the wards, and while I rarely find myself in Rdiology
    [QUOTE="Bugbait, post: 1606099, member: 57228"]I'm not sure how difficult it is to magnetise a Master Coaxial movement. I know @Archer has mentioned on various occasions that it's possible to magnetise the movement though. Makes sense given that Omega do magnetise and test them in that state as part of the METAS certification.

You don't have any tablet or mobile phone covers that use magnets? The range is short but those suckers are still powerful when placed in very close proximity.

The Lepsi application is only as accurate as the sensor on the phone. I'm not sure it even allows any calibration? It's been a while since I tried it.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how difficult it is to magnetize one of these, but my 2018 SMP is the watch I wear most on the wards these days, and while I'm not often in radiology it has been a terrific performer where several others have suffered. I get that there's a fair bit of marketing involved in the antimagnetic claims but it has been a selling and owning perk for me,

12. Bugbait Sep 22, 2020

Maybe the scaremongering about the frequency of magnetism impact on mechanical watches may be a bit over the top. However, the magnetism resistance of the Master Coaxial movement is genuine. Sure, it's easy enough to demagnetise a watch but it's cooler when you don't have to bother doing it :). I magnetised my De Ville GMT Chronoscope (that's a mouthful) numerous times which is why the next had to have a strong resistance to it.

13. brettone2002 Jun 9, 2021

Unless you find yourself in an MRI machine often I wouldn't worry too much about 15,000 gauss

14. Donn Chambers Jun 9, 2021

It’s my understanding that the app using the iPhones built in magnetometer, which is sensitive to both magnetic fields AND ferrous material. Since an unmagnetized watch will still have ferrous material in it, I highly doubt the accuracy of the app if all it tells you the watch is magnetized or not.

bigger question is when we’re those 1999 watches last serviced?