Forums Latest Members
  1. YOSDav Jan 18, 2018

Hey all, I was always wondering what these bubbles were on my Anakin Skywalker case. Anybody know? Particularly, will these bubbles pop over time? Thanks, David
    20180117_194539.jpg

2. cramlington Jan 19, 2018

hate to be a negative-nancy, and i'm no expert, but it maybe something to do with the coating. These are tungsten coated stainless arn't they?

3. cramlington Jan 19, 2018

forgot to ask, how long have they been there?

4. YOSDav Jan 19, 2018

Thanks for the replies, that is correct - the case has a tungsten chrome coating.

The bubbles have been there ever since I got the watch over a year ago.

5. cramlington Jan 20, 2018

are they solid if you press on them with the tip of your nail?

6. bama2141 Jan 20, 2018

I’d suggest that the case was replated at some point in the past. Appears that a contaminant got in between the substrate and the plating and caused either corrosion or debonding of the plating. I suppose this could have happened during the original build, but I feel Omega would have had better control of the process. Not much you can do at this point I’m afraid other than strip the plating and start over.

cramlington and Waltesefalcon like this.
  7. YOSDav Jan 20, 2018

Thanks for the replies.

The bubbles appear or are solid.

As to replating, I don't believe that has been done - in fact, from my research, I do not believe it is possible and/or feasible to replate the tungsten-chrome.

However, contaminants do seem to be a likely possibility for the cause and it looks like it was not too uncommon as I have seen photos of Anakins on the internet with similar cases, which piqued this general enquiry.

Thanks again

cramlington likes this.