Forums Latest Members
  1. supersizethis Mar 1, 2020

Hi All,

New to the forum, looking for some help with a watch that I have the opportunity to purchase.

I don't know too much about it, I've done some research as far as I can tell, the dial is original, the case is in pretty rough shape, but I don't really mind that (unless it impacts the operation of the watch in any way?). Also, I see that the top left dial looks like it has a bit of tracking going on with it.

My biggest concern is the movement. It's a cal. 321, which is mostly what I'm after. Can anyone offer any opinions on the movement based on what you can see in the pictures? Per the owner, it operates as it should currently.

Lastly, I'm not sure what the market is for watches like this, can anyone offer some advice on what I should pay for something like this? Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can offer.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. OMEGuy Mar 1, 2020

My biggest concern is the watch.

The case looks worn and polished to death, the crown is a replacement, the hands are not matching the dial, the dial looks doubtful and relumed at least, so, if it's all about the movement, why then just this watch?

I'd personally look for a better choice, unless the price was for the movement only.

Radiozoop likes this.
  3. aprax Mar 1, 2020

The only thing this watch needs is a clean-up and a service. It is all original IMO. Could you post a pic of the inner case back?
    How much is the seller asking?

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. supersizethis Mar 1, 2020

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the crown looks like a replacement, and I'm not super fussed about that. As for the hands/dial/reluming, can I ask what you see that gives that away? Asking for future reference to get a bit of a baseline as far as what to look for.

I'm certainly not limiting it to this watch by any means, this one popped up locally and I like the history of the 321, so I thought I'd try and get some feedback from people who know more about it than I do.

OMEGuy likes this.
  5. OMEGuy Mar 1, 2020

Edited Mar 1, 2020
  6. supersizethis Mar 1, 2020

This is kinda what I was hoping to hear lol. Anything you can tell me as far as what makes it look original? I'm also trying to learn here so anything at all you can provide is helpful. I looked at some other examples as well and came to the same conclusion (not that my conclusion means anything lol).

The seller is asking about $1,500. Any idea if that falls within the realm of reasonability? I'll ask for a pic of the caseback, the ones I posted were the only ones the guy sent over. Anything specific to look for there?

7. aprax Mar 2, 2020

As to the dial, all fonts and the arrow as well as the layout look correct, my impression is that it is not a reprint. The lume looks old and degraded in colour, so my feeling is that it has been applied in the 60s. There is indeed a question of whether there should be lume on the dial at all, since the markers are not the usual stepped ones which provide for a specific place to put the lume in.
    The hands have the correct length (hour, minute and sweeping seconds at least) and, though the combination of baton hands with alpha sub dial hands is not usual, may be original. The crown is probably not.

I can't say that the case has been "polished to death". Looks fair overall, however the plating seems to have rubbed off at the south lugs.

The movement is in the correct range and looks good, minimally tampered with. The screw heads look pristine.

Let's see if more real experts here can chime in, I am certainly not one. But try to get as many more photos as you can, also from the dial and the sides. There might be a discrepancy between the position of the 2-4 and 8-10 markers relatively to the edge of their respective sub-dials. I wanted to make sure the watch is plated, that's why I asked for a case back pic, also to have a look at the markings, if any.

As to the asking price, for a SS model it would certainly be on the low side, and for me it would be a clear buy. For a plated watch (personally I avoid them) it is not unreasonable, but there is the rub off mentioned above.

Radiozoop likes this.
  8. Radiozoop Mar 2, 2020

$1500 is low for a 321. Very low. I've seen movement-only lots sell for between $1500-$2000 depending on condition, so I'm of the opinion that getting a complete 321 piece, regardless of aesthetic conditions (excluding movement which should be in at least "serviceable" condition) is a good buy.

Now, comparing to my 2451-7 Omega 321 Chronograph, a similar reference, I can say with some sort of certainty that the dial does not seem to be refinished, but the jury is out on a lume job (as others have suggested). The case is obviously polished but that would not stop me at the asking price. Movement is in good shape, actually very good shape for $1500.

I would jump on this quickly (but that's just me) for $1500, but that's just me.

9. Radiozoop Mar 2, 2020

To support @aprax pricing suggestion... I sold an (albeit) earlier 321 "pre-Seamaster" SS 2451 for $3300 last year. Plated watches will obviously trade for less but assuredly still above $2000 any day of the week. As said, $1500 is a steal for a complete watch and is what you'd see most movements trade at.

aprax likes this.