Forums Latest Members

Omega 1000 meters Grand Ploprof with Ploprof 600 meters dial? .. Rare?!..

1. JDBIOHAZARD Aug 20, 2014

Hello dear friends I'm new in the forum, just visited many times to learn about Omega watches but never joint until now... I am writing because found this very rare watch and before doing some service and possible changes I would like to know if you have seen something similar to this watch. The person who sold it to me, told me that he bought it in the 70's to an AD here in Venezuela just like you can see at the pics. It is very rare to see an Omega 1000 Meters also called Grand Ploprof with an Omega 600 dial and also with the crown at the right side. I know that at the Omega museum they have something similar that they call "1000 meters Prototype". Maybe this could be a transition watch or something between both models.
    I just opened it and do some research of the movement a cal 1002, with a serial number: 31,500,730
    It is very interesting... it comes with the Omega 600 type II dial and an Omega 1000 meters type I bezel (looks like just the transition).
    I would like to hear from you opinions about it, also hear if you recomend me to leave just like this or to replace the dial for a 1000 meters and change the crown position to left.
    Many thanks! I really appreciate your help and opinions. Saludos!

la foto 2.PNG la foto 1.PNG la foto 3.PNG la foto 3.JPG la foto 4.JPG la foto 1.JPG la foto 2.JPG la foto 1 (2).JPG la foto 2 (2).JPG la foto 3 (2).JPG

watchyouwant, Dash1 and Dogmann like this.
  2. sulaco Aug 21, 2014

You are right, the early 1000m were fitted with a 600m dial and if they are original they are rare.
    The 1002 Movement with a 315..... serial also dates it to the early 70ties, later 166.093´s used the 1012 movement.
    So yours could be one of the rarer early versions, but even if you order an extract of records you will never know if the dial
    was originally delivered with this watch.But i would bet it was.
    On the other hand i have to say that the case really has been badly refinished. The edges are pretty soft now and it should have a radial finish
    instead of the amateur Sunburst finish it has now.
    What about the Crown, was it unscrewed when the Pictures were taken, because it protrudes way to much from the crown guards.

Else i would have it serviced but leave dial, hands as they are.

Very very nice find :thumbsup:

JDBIOHAZARD likes this.
  3. JDBIOHAZARD Aug 22, 2014

Many thanks guys!! ::psy:: Great news!!

4. JDBIOHAZARD Aug 22, 2014

Thanks Sulaco for your really helpful reply, I'm trying to find somebody to do the radial refinish of the case. Thanks God I asked before do changes. I will keep it just like it is right now and I will look for the extract of record. I found the pic of the Omega museum 1000 meters prototype.

About your crown question, you are right, at the pics the crown was unscrewed.

Best regards friend!

image.jpg

5. DrStrong Sep 15, 2014

My 0.02 cts:

If this were a Seamaster 1000 prototype, I think it should be fitted with an early mk1 Ploprof dial like the one in the Omega Museum.

Yours has a mk2 two tone dial, which was issued much later.

Also, the bezel of the Museum protoype is completely different.

A famous Seamaster 1000 Prototype delivered to Comex has a serial number of 26 millions.

Maybe your watch is a regular production Seamaster 1000 with a Ploprof dial in it....

I think it's worth asking Omega to check their archives.

watchyouwant likes this.
  6. JDBIOHAZARD Sep 15, 2014

Thanks for for your opinion DrStrong but IMHO the last dial model they were placing in ploprof 600 at the time 1000 meters watch came out was the ploprof 600 meters mk2. Yes as sulaco said this one should be the transition between both models. But its really nice to see that the prototype also have 600 meters dial. Have one of the first omega 1000 meters is such a great find!!

Best regards

7. JDBIOHAZARD Oct 7, 2014

8. JDBIOHAZARD Oct 7, 2014

Hello guys I'm attaching new pics of the watch.. Thanks to my very good friend Pablo that helped me with the bezel polishing!! He did a great job!

Hope you like the pics, I love the pic with Nato strap!

Best regards.
    And thanks for all the support and replies.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Privateday7 likes this.
  9. sulaco Oct 7, 2014

looks nice

10. JDBIOHAZARD Oct 26, 2014

Another pic In action..

image.jpg

Best Regards!!

Varasc likes this.