Forums Latest Members

Omega × Swatch MoonSwatch Madness in London 26th March

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 28, 2022

:unsure:
    I know Bioceramic has been used in clinical applications, even in implants...
    After all Omega is in the business of selling watches and making profit
    (There's already a large margin on a steel version but a huge profit margin on plastic versions for sure)

2. Omegafanman Mar 28, 2022

I like the channel but he would have us getting a The Dam Busters - Zero West DB1 made from war grave metal... I think I prefer the Swatch ;0)

3. Shay Mar 28, 2022

:unsure:
    The moon swatch is bad news for him and his mates business. People might start enjoying a watch for what it is rather than chasing the next Rolex investment. I saw his video and I am confused why he was so grumpy. He is a Rolex guy why is he concerned with a £200 Swatch watch :unsure:.

4. Alphasports Mar 28, 2022

My wife and I both worked for Swatch Group in Bienne for several years...I can guarantee you they are positively GIDDY with the hype -- mismanaged or not -- that this release has garnered. It's been many many years since a Swatch product generated this level of hysteria, it's like reliving the glory of the 80's all over again for them!

5. Shay Mar 28, 2022

Would you know how many Of these watches Swatch has ready to go? 100 watches per store is a drop in the ocean.

apsm100 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. iamnuts Mar 28, 2022

Speaking to one of the Oxford Street Swatch employees he said they managed to sell 10 of the 270 they had before it was bedlam and had to close.

7. ChronoB Mar 28, 2022

I disagree. It's getting Omega's name in front of people that would have hardly seen it before or considered buying one. I don't know what their expectations really were, but they created a genuine phenomenon with this release. And, like it or hate it, the Moonswatch has dominated watch discussions and media. This kind of exposure is hard to come by. If just ten percent of the people buying these didn't own an Omega, or can't afford one right now, and decide to buy a big time Omega someday it will totally be worth it for them. It's going to do more to get people into watches than anything I can recall in recent times, maybe even since the original Swatch watches created such a commotion in in the 80s. It's a win for Omega.

apsm100, madjestikmoose and aphexafx like this.
  8. Alphasports Mar 28, 2022

Unfortunately no, I may sneak downtown later today (Montreal) and see what's up at the boutique...

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 28, 2022

I'll wait for the case study. I'm very cynical about these corporate co-branding events having spent most of my career in FMCG. As I said, if this proves a "prime the pump" within what appears the Millenial, Gen Z target, all good. Measured results for Omega would have to include a sales lift, pricing performance besides, search inquiries, likes, awareness etc. Agree there is not much cannibalization risk.

TDBK, ChronoB and Omegafanman like this.
  10. matlt Mar 28, 2022

Need to be clear here that the watch is hardly a phenomenon. It’s just a plastic quartz, one of countless other models. What’s phenomenal is how quickly the hype train evolves

11. TyKuza Mar 28, 2022

yup, it was disheartening for a lot of people. There was a number system that was implemented(not by Swatch) by the first people in line. Where there were cards, and our number indicated our sequence in line. The number of people were well into the thousands.

The worst was making friends, and then realizing there were only 108 watches…..

12. TyKuza Mar 28, 2022

Thanks! I am a watch collector. My YouTube channel ( TyKuza ) mainly features watches, but I got into cars as well (as I started Turo). I have never owned a Speedmaster before. I originally didn’t even know about this watch. But I had multiple people text me to ask me if I had access to this watch, so I looked it up.

I did an unboxing and review on my channel. To “me” the quality is acceptable. It just feels like a very light plastic watch, in super cool colors. I also like the box where it has the planet information. I’m not a hard person to please lol.

cvalue13 and Dedalus05 like this.
  13. ChronoB Mar 28, 2022

Er, it's a phenomenon, and it is plastic quartz. That's the point. No one is lining up for any of the other countless models. People are lined up at Swatch stores in every corner of the world to buy one of these things. If this isn't as rare and genuine a sales phenomenon as you'll see in the watch industry then I can't imagine what is. This has people that would never spend $5,000 on a watch and people that routinely do in the same line together for the same product. Omega and Swatch couldn't have asked for a better reaction.

cvalue13 and ChiefMark like this.
  14. TyKuza Mar 28, 2022

Ya, certainly was sad news when they announced it was only 108 :(

cvalue13 likes this.
  15. Duckie Mar 28, 2022

It might just be a plastic quartz (just like every other Swatch Watch since the early 80's) to yourself.
    But I put it to you that it's way more than that and the fact that it has blown social media up more than anything else before is a testament to that.
    It transcends anything else because it's a fun expression of an Omega Speedmaster that's affordable and accessible.
    Where else in the world could a company make such a large sum of money in one day selling antiquated low quality goods just because people wanted it other than certain fast food chains which shall remain nameless?
    Before this happened, there were countless people that didn't even know they wanted something like this in their lives.:thumbsup:

What i also want to know is, have these been made available in Russia?
    They've attached a certain amount of green credentials to it with the bio thing, but is there a substantial ethical component as well?

Edited Mar 28, 2022
  16. Duquephart Mar 28, 2022

For most it was just something flippable.

17. Duckie Mar 28, 2022

Literally everything that's harvested, dug out of the ground, or man made has a negative environmental imapact:thumbsdown:

18. Omegafanman Mar 28, 2022

Sometimes simple obvious things can be very disruptive and are a phenomenon...

EC8E60EF-D2C5-43F3-A0F1-3E67F7F7EE2B.jpeg 0BC4F973-D240-4187-A658-8FCA20D5A341.jpeg 177D0C2B-FFD7-4626-8257-90DEB99A6827.jpeg
  19. Dan S Mar 28, 2022

This is an interesting comment, even if it's just a slip. I wonder if people buying these watches think they own Speedmasters now.

20. Evitzee Mar 28, 2022

Exactly right, they are revelling in the euphoria they had in the 80's and early 90's when Swatchmania took off. That was all pre-internet and pre-mobile phones, but there was a second hand feeder system in place where runners would search out the scarce models and then resell them to second hand dealers who would mark up hard to get Swatch watches. There were several on 5th Avenue in NYC. That was during the time they introduced the chrono, alarm, automatic and countless limited edition models that caused a frenzy, not on the scale seen last weekend but it was palpable to those searching out these scarce models. Even I fell in to it for a year or so. At this point I don't think Swatch is all that interested in supplying the market so everyone can get the model(s) of their choice, the publicity of this event has been a wild success. The real question is what can Swatch do with it to keep the re-interest alive and going forward? We shall see.

Edited Mar 28, 2022