Forums Latest Members
  1. Samsikes Aug 6, 2022

I'm very new to the community and would like help figuring out the model or year. Here are some photos IMG20220806144818.jpg IMG_20220806_145346.jpg IMG20220806150957.jpg

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 6, 2022

Welcome to the forum!

Case number dates from 1894-1902, appears to be the caliber 19''' based on the unusual clicker shape.

Can you give us a measurement of the movement diameter? A closeup of the rubies to see if the chatons are screwed in ?
    I'd also love to see a good shot of the small engravings under the case number.

Any background info?

I'm the village idiot but many of our oldie experts are in bed right now so be patient and we will try to find out more.

You may have one of the very earliest watches marked Omega.

Samsikes, JimInOz and DaveK like this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 6, 2022

The Omega logo looks elongated. Interesting to see a clearer picture of it

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 7, 2022

Not unusual. The "horseshoe" shaped Ω and the italicised OMEGA were normal in that era (turn of the 19th/early 20th century).

DaveK likes this.
  5. Samsikes Aug 7, 2022

The movement diameter is about 42mm and here is a close up of the rubies:
    IMG20220807135524.jpg
    I can't get a better photo of the engraving on the case but it's two 1's and an R. There's also an engraving that can be seen on the top right of the photo in the original post that says B9809 and some other hand carved letters and numbers on other parts of the case.
    I found this watch yesterday at an antique store in the small town I live in in Spain, but the seller told me he gets his pocket watches from his friend that lives in France.
    Thanks!

UncleBuck likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 7, 2022

On very early Omega pocket watches like this, the serial number of the movement is located underneath the dial and can only be seen when the watch is disassembled.

This looks like the real deal to me as a circa 1900 Omega pocket watch. However, it also looks like there are at least a couple of parts missing. It might turn out to be quite expensive to restore this watch to running condition.

gatorcpa

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 7, 2022

If I am correct, here is some general info about the movement.
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Omega_19

Jim(inOz) and Evan (Gatorcpa) are two of the very best and they will guide you well.

The hand carved letters are watchmaker's service marks but the two 1's and the R are the marks I would like to see clearly. They may be hallmarks or other official markings.

May I ask your intentions with this piece?
    While it might be prohibitive to repair, you might get lucky and this watch is a piece of history.

You might get lucky but you won't get rich.

Samsikes likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 8, 2022

Possibly a caliber 19''' L 15P in a blued steel case.
    If the dial had been in much better condition it would be worth restoring, but as it is probably only a parts watch.

Samsikes and UncleBuck like this.