Forums Latest Members
  1. Freki Dec 28, 2021

Hello!
    I'm new here, so first here is a little introduction.
    I'm 24 y.o. I live in Czech Republic and few months back I started watching old mechanical watch restoration videos on youtube, later I bough my first watch to try learning the craft of watchmaking and loving it since! When I'm not tinkering with watches my main work is programmer in game development company.

So my father have this old working pocket watch and he says that its from his grandparent that was in WW1 and he maybe got from there (we are not really sure). I tried to lookup the serial numbers but did not found any information, only that the watch is from around 1927, the thing is that when I look at the internet I did not found many watches with this case and the leather strap. Does anyone known some more information ? I would like to found what type of movement it is and if there is some documentation for it.

(I did not try to disasseble it, my father got it like this and as you can see someone tried to unscrew it with some wrong screwdriver.)

Thank you in advance!
    IMG_4257.jpg IMG_4258.jpg IMG_4247.jpg IMG_4246.jpg IMG_4245.jpg

Edited Dec 28, 2021
  2. OMTOM Dec 28, 2021

Welcome!

I’ll do my best to give you some idea.

To start with, the metal carrying case and strap are of little significance, since they could be used with any watch of this size – but they have done their job protecting the watch and they’re part of its history, so fair enough.

The watch looks original in all aspects (thus including dial and hands). Omega made a ‘family’ of watch calibres, all similar to the original (and famous!) 19’’’ from 1894, varying in size and small detail. I would guess that this is a 17’’’ (but you could confirm that by measuring the diameter of the movement itself: the diameter of the 17’’’ movement is 37.5 mm).

It is good to see that the enamel dial appears to be undamaged.

But the movement has been set in a larger case (which was not unusual, in order to create a larger pocket watch, larger dial etc) – and that could make this watch a calibre 17/19.

Since it is a lépine (open face) watch, of fairly standard quality, I would guess the calibre is 17/19 LOB.

I would estimate the year of origin as being about 1923 (it might not have been sold until later of course).

You say that the watch is working. Anyone on this forum would recommend that you get it serviced (thus at least lubricated!) if you intend to run it. When did it last see any lubrication?!

If you really want to have confirmation of the watch details, you can apply to Omega for an Extract of their Archive (they need the case and movement numbers – which you have). Look at the Omega website for the charges.

That’s my view. Best wishes, Tom

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 28, 2021

Welcome to the forum @Freki, I don’t know anything about these watches but I’m older than you (just slightly ;)) and I think it’s great young people like you have an interest in those objects our forefathers have invented to measure time.

The technique and the idea of opposing springs to impart energy and to control its release in order to measure time is simply a stroke of genius which has revolutionized civilizations— and it is a legacy which is so worth remembering and passing on.

Congrats on what looks like a wonderful heirloom watch.
    You have been very wise to not try unscrewing things yourself.
    Even if the case was not original to the watch when it left the factory, it is part of its history, just like the strap.

Agree with @OMTOM that you should have it serviced by a professional if you want to use it.
    Otherwise there are oils mixed with dust which probably have seized up inside the gears, the watch may look like its working but its movement is impeded and that may in the end cause permanent damage.

We have some members here @JimInOz and @STANDY who may enjoy seeing your watch and who may have other interesting things to tell you.

Freki likes this.
  4. OMTOM Dec 28, 2021

I write further to avoid any confusion I may have caused. The case of the watch (the nickel alloy/Argentan case, numbered 6662097) will I’m sure be original and part of the watch when it left the factory. My reference to the outer case being ‘of little significance’ refers to the very outer protective/carrying case.

5. Freki Dec 28, 2021

Thank you guys, for you welcome and informations, I'm still a newbe and starting hobbiest in these waters, I alredy fixed some old russian watches, but I still do not have much experience and I do not want to break somehow this wonderfull watch, I still cleaning watch parts by hand in the cleaning solution and thinking about making my own cleaning machine, because from what I looked its not that compilcated and still the price of the machines is so high.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 28, 2021

I’m totally ignorant about those, but aren’t both those cases bound together with the hinge and part of the same set up?
    I have a 1920s wristwatch which has two covers.
    Afraid I’m useless with that stuff.

274BFF3C-D5C1-432C-9536-EB563EE509CD.jpeg A5152126-312D-4995-83EB-222999EC4A89.jpeg
  7. peterkirk01 Dec 28, 2021

No. Both of the cases on the omega are completely separate. The outer case is usually made from a very light metal with a very light cover. These outer cases can be used for any pocket watch.

OMTOM likes this.
  8. OMTOM Dec 28, 2021

@Syrte I agree the hinge is deceptive! But as Peter Kirk writes, the two are separate.

Earlier pocket and wristwatches (like yours) had an inner caseback, known as a dust cover – or in French ‘cuvette’, which Omega translates as ‘dome’. That’s quite different.

In the same way some people carry their mobile phone in a protective cover, some pocket watches were carried in one of these outer cases. It just took them longer to be able to read the time (as some people need longer to answer their phones!).

In my opinion, from all we see in these images, the watch is as it left the Omega factory.

Here’s an example of one of my ‘phone carriers’.

DSCF4761.JPG

DSCF4762.JPG

DSCF4763.JPG

JimInOz, Syrte and ahsposo like this.