Old Genève assessment

Posts
889
Likes
1,225
Hello OF!

I would welcome your assessment on this watch - Geneve cursive 2903.

The dial looks very nice, question about possible missing marker at 6? (although this can be fine on some references according to my research).

The case (rose gold the seller says, although it looks gold to me) seems polished but I can still see chamfers on the lugs.

What do you think of the condition overall?

Thanks in advance!

 
Posts
7,076
Likes
56,718
Dial and movement give a nice appearance. The case is beat, looks terminal.

I studied the early cursive Geneves before acquiring one. I had the same question about a possible missing marker at the 6 'o'clock position on some I was watching on Ebay, but apparently some dial styles came without a marker on that position.
 
Posts
8,245
Likes
29,122
Wait - the seller claims that the case back is also gold?! Difficult to believe, based on that image.

As mentioned above, not all early models had indices at 6.
 
Posts
18,728
Likes
38,878
It's in well worn condition, lugs have lost plating so it's not a collectable but if you like it..........

No hallmarks anywhere, stainless caseback = gold plated.
 
Posts
906
Likes
1,739
The lower right lug is in very poor condition. Gold cap is split. The hands look to be rose gold, not sure about case with theses photos. Movement looks kinda dirty.
 
Posts
7,076
Likes
56,718
Wait - the seller claims that the case back is also gold?! Difficult to believe, based on that image.

As mentioned above, not all early models had indices at 6.


Ok, indices. I knew there was a superior term. Just couldn't call it to mind.
 
Posts
889
Likes
1,225
Ok thanks everyone for your input. As always very useful.

If anyone has this reference or an earlier 2748 type of ref, feel free to drop me a message! 😗😗
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
I have a steel cased 2903. The cursive Geneves typically have three possible issues. The first is moisture intrusion which often resulted in dial deterioration. The second is that the chamfers on the lugs have often been polished away. The third is that the original crown is no longer made and has often been replaced. Here are photos of mine, which is unpolished and correct for the reference, for comparison:
 
Posts
4,008
Likes
44,974
Nothing much to "say" that hasn't been written already...
Correct crowns are a pain to find.
I agree it looks YG to me too
The only thing to compare is my RG furniture one
 
Posts
889
Likes
1,225
Thanks, yeah it looks great! 4 years hunting it if I recall from my readings. I think I have read almost every post on 2903 and variations from the forum 😁 @gbesq

I am still fairly new when it comes to watches, and I find it difficult to assess the quality of a case (especially all the gradients in between polished and unpolished). Sometimes the pictures aren’t really helping either.
 
Posts
889
Likes
1,225
Nothing much to "say" that hasn't been written already...
Correct crowns are a pain to find.
I agree it looks YG to me too
The only thing to compare is my RG furniture one
Very sweet too.
 
Posts
889
Likes
1,225
I had seen another example with a decent dial (the seller didn’t reply to provide additional pictures…) and a much much better case (which I would call pretty sharp).

But it doesn’t appeal to me as much as in gold, so not too sure what to do.